Allen and Heath ZED16FX recording problem!!

Thanks, I'm going to start with this part -->"Now, did you wait until the 3 driver/CODEC installations had finished?" ---
This is the part that stumps me - When I search Allen & Heath website for my mixer (ZED16FX) [url]http://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/zed-16fx/ if doesn't show ANY downloads of any kind.[/URL]
When I researched this, the only thing I found was that there are NO drivers to update it's basically plug n play. - AM I MISSING THE DRIVER DOWNLOAD?
That would make a this a hella lot easier if that was the case, but when I go to this page Downloads - Allen & Heath - it plainly shows NO software to download.

Also - when people are trying to help me on a different version of this mixer (10-12FX) the buttons are different, I have no (record) button setting etc.

I'm going to concentrate on the settings at the right top of the mixer board - I'll try to post a screen shot AnH16.jpeg
Thanks for the info on these buttons and for all your help guys! I'm workin on it, got some great ideas on how to start, so here I go!

YAY!!! I FINALLY GOT A SIGNAL! WOOHOO! Thank you Mark for making that uber EASY!
Last night I was trying to read on those settings but there were SO MANY Variations I got a headache n went to bed lol -
Today I recorded my first thru this mixer thanks to your photos and explanation! It IS a bit weak, but I just used Audacity for a quick audio grab.
SOOOooo next questions are HOW do I strengthen that signal? Is it done from the board or the DAW?
AND... Should I be concerned with all those lil recessed buttons up there on the right? Choosing Pre/Post etc?
I recorded drums and just a vocal checking over top from my regular channels, in two parts just to see what it did - now I need to learn the fine tuning a bit.

I spent my life traveling the country playing live and have been recorded on (showing my age here) Albums, cassettes and CD -, I also have over 100 of my own songs recorded where I play everything etc, so I've been around recording most of my life, BUT that was all analog etc. I used an old Tascam Portastudio 488 MKII - LOL at home and absolutely LOVED it!, Easy to use and NO computers needed! But I realize it's the digital age and I'm definitely looking into a more modern setup for my future recording needs, but like anyone I have to use what I have atm, and my A&H is a really nice mixer and my current solution.

SOOOOoooo Thanks again for all the info, even tho I'm not done looking for answers to appease my always hungry mind - you folks on Home Recording Forum ROCK!

YAY!!! I FINALLY GOT A SIGNAL! WOOHOO! Thank you Mark for making that uber EASY!

Cool deal. It's nice when a plan comes together and we realize are toys are really broke. Read the first line in my signature. It happens to me just about daily. :laughings:

Today I recorded my first thru this mixer thanks to your photos and explanation! It IS a bit weak, but I just used Audacity for a quick audio grab. SOOOooo next questions are HOW do I strengthen that signal? Is it done from the board or the DAW?

It is done from your board. Set your main channel gain to 60%. Set your fader/trim on the channel to 50%. Speak into your mic or hit your drum and slowing open the master volume control knob/fader till you see the light go green. Going into the yellow or orange is OK, but never go into the red. Open up your DAW and arm a track. Look at the input meter. You want it between a -12 and -18dbs.

AND... Should I be concerned with all those lil recessed buttons up there on the right? Choosing Pre/Post etc?
I recorded drums and just a vocal checking over top from my regular channels, in two parts just to see what it did - now I need to learn the fine tuning a bit.

A pre aux send delivers the signal out of the mixer BEFORE it passes through the channel fader. You can move the volume fader all you want but it's not going to affect the volume going to that auxiliary unit. This is useful if you wanted to feed a line to an office and into a volume control box. That way they could set their own volume as needed.

A post aux send delivers the signal out of the mixer AFTER it's gone through the fader. When you move the volume fader, that aux send volume is equally manipulated and can be used for things like stage mons if the board does not have that dedicated input.

You need to read your manual as there are many things you can do with these sends and they can also trip you up, if you use them incorrectly. Nothing like running the board and having the wrong line in the wrong send, that feeds the nursery and you pump up the Preacher as 15 kids are sleeping to warp 10. Been there, done that.

I spent my life traveling the country playing live and have been recorded on (showing my age here) Albums, cassettes and CD -, I also have over 100 of my own songs recorded where I play everything etc, so I've been around recording most of my life, BUT that was all analog etc. I used an old Tascam Portastudio 488 MKII - LOL at home and absolutely LOVED it!, Easy to use and NO computers needed! But I realize it's the digital age and I'm definitely looking into a more modern setup for my future recording needs, but like anyone I have to use what I have atm, and my A&H is a really nice mixer and my current solution.

The CEO of the AES says what use to take two hrs back in the day, (I was there as well), now takes two or three mouse clicks. He is correct.

SOOOOoooo Thanks again for all the info, even tho I'm not done looking for answers to appease my always hungry mind - you folks on Home Recording Forum ROCK!

I am glad this community was able to get you back on track. Peace Out!

Two things ZOM'..
1) Drivers: When I plugged the Zed10 into this i3 HP laptop bottom of screen it said " Installing drivers. Click here for info". Did that and one driver of 3 was ticked but waiting for two more, one an update from Ms. It said I could skip the update but I decided not to and advised you thusly.

2) Recording level. Go into Windows Sound setting and find the page that show 'Levels'. With my laptop set for 5% and the mixer blipping the first LED, I get around -18dBFS.

I would like to repeat. Properly setup the Zeds will make excellent recordings via USB where the ambient noise level is high. That applies to almost all pub/club situations. Then, the high Z instrument inputs are themselves pretty clean and the noise floor will be determined by that noisy, design car crash that is the electric guitar! But! I would not use one for solo cello in a pin-drop quiet hall. Good quality voice over work would also be a bit compromised I would say. Feeding the Zed into a 24 bit interface will however give pretty state of art results.

Dave.

Last edited:
Hey Dave,

I getcha thanks, as I've said before though, there are NO drivers for this particular mixer - ZED16FX. So that part is moot for me, but I'm looking into the rest. You guys have provided a LOT of information for me to sort through lol. I do have CONTACT though!!! YAY! As long as I'm getting a signal I can work with that. I'm thinking using this for recording is just gonna be (get it down before I lose it) sorta recording. I'm going to definitely be looking into a stand alone solution in the near future, whether it's an audio interface, or a completely new Recording mixer like a ZOOM R24/16/8 or Livetrack L12, etc that kind of thing. Thanks again I appreciate it!

Last edited:
as I've said before though, there are NO drivers for this particular mixer - ZED16FX. So that part is moot for me, but I'm looking into the rest.

This is from their website:

The USB ZED mixers are class compliant, they do not require drivers and use the built in WDM drivers in Microsoft Windows and Apple's Core Audio drivers in Mac OSX. Just plug the mixer into a computer via USB and your're ready to go, the device will present itself as 'USB Audio Codec' in your audio software or operating system.

Have you tried submitting a support ticket via their website?

Well it is all very confusing. As I said, when I first plugged in the ZED10 into this HP i3 laptop (W7/64) a box definitely came up btm right, saying 'Installing Drivers' or some such and as I said, Three of them!

After that I had no problems in a 'proper' DAW like Samplitide.

Dave.

Well it is all very confusing. As I said, when I first plugged in the ZED10 into this HP i3 laptop (W7/64) a box definitely came up btm right, saying 'Installing Drivers' or some such and as I said, Three of them!

After that I had no problems in a 'proper' DAW like Samplitide.

Dave.
I'm guessing there may have been some dialog with the driver install such as 'New Device Found' followed by 'Installing Drivers' (as you had noted). This is pretty much standard for Windows (I think). I believe mostly it gives the device an identity so the computer knows what gets plugged in.
Below is a screenshot of a section of USBDview that show USB devices that have been installed on my PC. Most all without dedicated drivers have had Windows do its thing 'installing drivers'.

Attachments

• usb.jpg
    usb.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 12
Back