alignment help

FALKEN

yo,
just got my first reel-to-reel. played the test tape, and it needs an alignment, big surprise. here is what the manual says:

"Access to these adjustments is possible by swinging down the front panel of the recorder.
...NOTE 1: By removing the four screws, the amplifier panel hinged at the lower side, can be swung down to make adjustments from the front side"

I have been unable to find where this occurs, or exactly which "four screws" they are talking about. I have tried all of them and nada. It is a fostex e-16, and looks similar to any tascam, otari, etc. any help on how to access these controls????

You should be adjusting the alignment by moving screws that are on the actual magnetic heads. The screws will move the head up, down in or out in most cases. If you have a pdf of the manual, post it here with a more specific question.

hasbeen said:
You should be adjusting the alignment by moving screws that are on the actual magnetic heads. The screws will move the head up, down in or out in most cases. If you have a pdf of the manual, post it here with a more specific question.

I believe Falken is referring to electronic alignment. Hasbeen, you are refering to the mechanical alignment, which will require more test equipment than Falken probably has to work with. Mechanical alignment should usually be left to a more competent tech.

this is correct. I am attempting the simple alignment. this is very frustrating!!

one more question - are those demagnetizers sold on ebay for about 16 bucks new any good?

Back