Alesis Studio 24 For Live gig - small PA system

reverendjohnny

I am so glad that there is a newbie forum because I am looking for some basic advice. My two sons are in a band (3 piece) and they are just starting to perform live. They currently have ha PA that they use for vocals only; they run no floor monitors and (2) JBL powered speakers. I believe that the board is a small Mackie that is hooked up to an equalizer. The bottom line is that the system serves it's purpose. Eventually they might invest in some floor monitors and/or subs, but it elevates the vocals to where they can be heard crisp and clear. I may have made a boo boo. In my haste I purchased for them an Alesis Studio 24 as a back up mixer. In the event that they are gigging the their mixer goes down, they will have to have a back up. They plugged in the board and it performed miserably. No volume; half of the Mackie. Is anyone familiar with this mixer and if so, how can be be converted to be more gig friendly. I know that it is a studio oriented mixer, but I am hoping that it can still suit them in a live environment. I think these forums are great; hope you don't mind my amateur questions.

You're probably doing something wrong.
Time to crack the manual and study your whole signal chain from the microphones to the speakers.

No boo boo made I'm sure once you figure out the correct out put from the mixer you'll be all set, then you'll have a live board and the ability to record them live as well.

:cool:

I believe there are two different generations of the Studio 24. How channel faders does yours have?

I'm surprised to hear there is a volume difference. I owned one which I used for several years and it had lots of balls. You would know though as you had both boards. Makes me think there's something wrong with it.

Check the gain structure from the mic trim through to the stereo out, something seems wrong.

I have used a lot of different boards and by setting up the gain structure right you nearly always end up with the same volume, although some sound a lot better and fatter than others.

Alan.

Back