alesis one MK 2 passive speakers

Kenyanscott

Hi guys

I'm new to the home studio set up now (previous was over a decade ago and things have moved)

My Current set up is :

Macbook Pro
Alesis Core 1 audio interface

I usually record guitar D/I right into my macbook pro

I use headphones to listen and playback.

However...................

I went and bought myself a set of Alesis one MK2 passive speakers (got them second hand)

I have no amplifier to power to power the speakers and I am unsure how once I get the amplifier how I get sound that would normally be through my headphones to come out of the speakers (Im taking a guess that i may need a mixer)

I have been looking at a LEPY 2024+ amplifier for powering from Amazon
or
Earlybird savings 12v audio amplifier from amazon

any help is appreciated!

Generally, monitoring of your recording process is best done through your interface via headphones or speakers.

The Core 1, sadly, has only a headphones output and no line output to which you could connect active speakers or an amp.

You could get an amp such as the LEPY, and get an RCA x 2 to stereo 3.5mm jack and use the headphone socket on the Core 1. But then you would have to switch if you wanted to use headphones.

This..3.5mm Stereo Jack Splitter Adapter Cable Lead Gold 20cm - 2TT-201 - kenable for HDMI Optical TOS Network Ethernet RJ45 Scart Audio Phono Jack USB Firewire 800 ADSL Cable Leads

Will give you an extra headphone output (you might need a 1/4" cable instead of 3.5mm) The power amplifier will impose no significant extra load on the HP output. You will then need a stereo jack to RCA cable to feed the PA.

But, I would advise against that uber cheap amp. I cannot find a proper spec' for it but would bet "20 watts" is very optimistic!. Alesis warn about using an underpowered amp and specify something up to 150W.

Your best bet is to check out S/H shops and charity shops, also Cash Converter stores. Look for a hi fi 'integrated amplifier' or receiver of 50-80W pch and names such as Sony, pioneer, Panasonic, Marantz, Denon, Yamaha.

50 watts into those monitors will produce well over 100dB SPL at one metre. MORE than loud enough!

Dave.

Back