Alesis IO2 + Sonar fuzzy problem

dolan

I've recently purchased an Alesis IO2, and used it with sonar
I've got all the microphone and guitar stuff set up, all the lights go off as they should, and plays back correctly.

But when i record, it records for a couple of moments perfectly, but then white noise, static fuzzy noise cuts in.

It plays back the soundtrack fine, just recording:mad:

I think its something to do with latency and buffers, but im not really sure

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Just a guess here. You may be using "Input Monitoring". That is a option to hear what you are recording, including effects, while you are recording. If you don't need this feature, its a good idea to turn it off. I've learned how to use it, but I've never needed it, so I turn it off.

How do you turn this feature off in the Io2?
There is a knob where you can vary the monitor mix from direct to USB
It seems if I twist it to direct, i get the stuff i am playing from my guitar, but if i twist it to USB, I get the stuff i play from computer

Edit: It only happens if i press record, it doesnt even need to be playing + recording. It doesn't even need a mic/guitar plugged to make the horrible noise
It just scard the Sh*t out of me just now

I was thinking it maybe a earth loop, but its only plugged in via usb:S

Any ideas?

Last edited:
I know this is an age after the above posts but I've spent the last 24 hours trying to sort out the exact same problem and maybe the solution I've found will help someone.

The io2 express doesn't have any dedicated drivers, Alesis in their wisdom, recommend you use the free ASIO4ALL driver. However using this with Sonar I found that I would get random bursts of static during recording and playback which could only be halted by stopping the audio engine in Sonar. At times it was so bad you could barely play 30 seconds without the white noise kicking in. I've been persevering with this problem for a while, having to record in bite size pieces with things taking hours sometimes instead of minutes due to this.

Yesterday I decided to devote a day to logically trying to track down or solve the problem.
Change the USB cable, tried every port on my machine. Same problem. Tried it on a 32 bit version of Win 7 instead of my 64 bit one. Same problem.
Tried it on another machine. Same problem.

Then decided to try every conceivable setting on the ASIO4ALL driver config and make a chart with the results.

These settings have totally cured the problem.... FOR ME! I hope they might do the same for someone else/

I'm using ASIO4ALL v2.10 and in the config window I have set
Latency Compensation In - 1024 samples
Latency Compensation Out - 1024 samples

Hardware buffer - unticked
Kernal Buffers - 4
Always Resample 44.1Khz <> 48Khz - ticked
Force WDM Driver to 16 bit - ticked

Finally, ASIO Buffer size = 1024 samples

I have found that if I increase the ASIO buffer size beyond 1024 I begin to get some latency with my USB midi controller. Anyone not using such a controller or using the io2 to control midid may find they can increase it even more.

I still need to test these setting in anger with some recording but I was able to get a rather effects heavy dub reggae project I'm working on to play continuously for an hour with no static interruption whereas before it would have been rare to be able to play it for more than a minute at most.

Hope this info will help someone in the future.
Cheers

How to open the config window?

I have the problem and would love to try your settings as I really can't afford to get a new interface right now.... am I being stupid in the fact that I cannot access the ASIO4ALL configuration window? How do I open it? Thanks.

"I'm using ASIO4ALL v2.10 and in the config window I have set
Latency Compensation In - 1024 samples
Latency Compensation Out - 1024 samples

Hardware buffer - unticked
Kernal Buffers - 4
Always Resample 44.1Khz <> 48Khz - ticked
Force WDM Driver to 16 bit - ticked

Finally, ASIO Buffer size = 1024 samples"

Sorry for being thick; I've got it up in Cubase. THANK YOU SO MUCH. The settings have helped enormously. This is the only place online I have found that has offered a solution to this problem, you are a saint. I'm still getting occasional pops cropping up, if you find a solution to this also then do let me know. But for now, its a lot better to live with than that hideous white noise, so thank you very much.

"Alesis in their wisdom, recommend you use the free ASIO4ALL driver."

Yeah, so do a lot of other manufacturers. It's a good driver and is actually updated more than a lot of manufacturer developed ASIO drivers. Don't diss.

Back