AKG C414 xlii use?

radiologic

hi everyone,
ive been doing some research and from what i hear the c414 are really good mics especially if you can find a low price one. i have a question for everyone that has experience with it. what instruments would you record using this mic?
lets say i use one, so nothing stereo obviously. any help?

thanks

Lots of people like 414's, it's a studio classic.

I've used it on vocals and didn't like it at all. A mic has got to make a nice combo with a singer, that's all. It could be a cheap mic but usually it's not. I'm pretty much a broken record on my preference for Neumann mics.

I have a stereo matched pair! and they are pretty dam good.
I use them occasionally as over heads. Once and a while as a vocal microphone. On various instruments...............................

In other words to make a long list short....They are a jack of all trades But a master of none in my experience. I have other microphones that out shine the 414 when I need a special one on a certain track on a project.

But if they were the only microphones that I had ~ they would be fine and do the job that was required of them.

:cool:

I use mine as second mic on acoustic guitar - up around the 5th fret to get some sheen...

I also use mine as remote mic on electric guitar cab.

Like moresound said - jack of all trades, master of none...

On vocals, I get a better sound (for the voices I record, which are male and deepish) using a Rode NT2, which was about a third of the cost...

:D

Back