Akai DPS16 newbie

jemstar555

Greetings all,

I'm a compete novice when it comes to home recording, apart from messing round recording guitar straight into my computer via a Line6 Toneport.

Anyhoo, somebody I know was getting rid of an Akai DPS16 and I was just wondering if anybody here used to use them, or even still does?

Any tips and tricks would be most appreciated. Also, would anybody know of a way to connect it to my MacBook for editing purposes?

Thanks chaps!!!

I only checked briefly but I don't see any useful outputs that will allow you to send more than a stereo signal out, so it would be hard to use it to track and then do more post processing work in the laptop. This is intended to be a standalone solution. If you want to record with the laptop get an audio interface.

Why are you looking at shit from a decade+ ago? There's literally dozens of USB audio interfaces on the market right now, all decent quality, and most entry level models coming in at around $100-150 USD.

Go to Sweetwater and browse their interfaces.

That stuff can still work, but don't be thinking tracks are gonna' show up in your DAW.

I had an Akai DPS12i - It was a long time ago and I don't fancy going back to that.
The only way you could get files from it was via SCUSI and it took about 5 million years.
You could MIDI sync it to your DAW and then track out but I suspect the preamps on your TonePort are 'at least' as good as the DPS; if not better.

Don't get me wrong - it was a major (MAJOR) step up for me when I bought it; coming from 4-track cassette - and I did some great stuff with it and had a lot of fun...
But it would be a massive pain in the arse to use in 2017 - especially with my current setup.

Well, I have a Akai DR8, Tascam PS5 and a Fostex DMT 8-vl and the get used often enough just to get away from the computer. There is a whole rig that isn't a computer accessory : ) I've got direct out on two of them, so I could dub the tracks to tape, or, computer.

Back