Advice wanted on equipment purchase

jacob89

Hello, I am new in this forum and the home recording world in general, so I was wondering if you could give me your opinion about the equipment I am thinking about buying for my soon to be recording studio
Sound card- FOCUSRITE SCARLET 2I4 (170 euros)
MIDI Keyboard- NOVATION IMPULSE 25 (174 euros)
MICROPHONE- Rode NT1-A (199 euros)
Studio Monitors- M-Audio Studiophile BX5 D2 (100 euros)
Price is important to me mostly because I am a beginer and I don't want to spent to much ( but I guess I can if I need to at some point)
Thank you in advance and I hope that I can return the favor by being helful to you someday in the not so long future, chears :)

What are you going to be recording? (Type of music, anything besides MIDI?)
What is the maximum number of simultaneous (but separate) tracks you will ever want to be recording?

Note that for the monitor you have listed, that's the price per speaker, not for a pair.

If price is an issue, look at the Alesis VI25...few quid cheaper, nice unit.
Good choices overall.

tnx for answering

What are you going to be recording? (Type of music, anything besides MIDI?)
What is the maximum number of simultaneous (but separate) tracks you will ever want to be recording?

Note that for the monitor you have listed, that's the price per speaker, not for a pair.

Thank for your reply, well i think I will mostly do pop and hip-hop staff maybe some rap. I will be using the mic only for vocals the instruments will be played via the pc using my MIDI keyboard and maybe some samples from the DAW. Why does the number of tracks matter? For ex if I have a song with drums piano and violin is diferent than having no drums in the same song?
tnx for the monitors tip by the way I didn't realize it :)

The question about simultaneous tracks is to understand if the interface will work for you. If you plan to mic a drum set, 2 amps and have a singer recording at the same time (a live 4 piece band) then you would need more inputs than the 2i4 has. Since you're doing all of your instruments "in the box" the interface you selected should be fine.

Welcome to the forums and good luck!

Hi Jacob. You might like to look at the Steinberg UR22 interface since it comes with Cubase A1 which is probably the best DAW software for MIDI work. It is also a few quid cheaper!

Big props on the keyboard because it has MIDI in and out and with the DIN ports on the interface you will have an expandable system (USB connected MIDI is a closed shop).

There is also every chance that the Cubase/UR22 set up will have lower latency than the Focusrite? Ok! I don't KNOW that to be true but I would bet a 3mtr XLR lead on it!

My fave AI remains of course the NI KA6....NO! Worries about latency there!

Dave.

The question about simultaneous tracks is to understand if the interface will work for you. If you plan to mic a drum set, 2 amps and have a singer recording at the same time (a live 4 piece band) then you would need more inputs than the 2i4 has. Since you're doing all of your instruments "in the box" the interface you selected should be fine.

Welcome to the forums and good luck!

ok tnx for helping i hope I stay for a long time :)
BTW how do I know if my DAW is compatable with a specific MIDI keybord/controler? I am using MAGIX Music Maker 2015 premium. I know is not really good but is cheap and easy to use if your are a beginer like me. I hope is going to work with the keyboard I wll buy

are you sure the NI card is good? i read a lot of reviews before going to the focusrite and NI had mixed reviews so I went away from it

Hi Jacob. You might like to look at the Steinberg UR22 interface since it comes with Cubase A1 which is probably the best DAW software for MIDI work. It is also a few quid cheaper!

Big props on the keyboard because it has MIDI in and out and with the DIN ports on the interface you will have an expandable system (USB connected MIDI is a closed shop).

There is also every chance that the Cubase/UR22 set up will have lower latency than the Focusrite? Ok! I don't KNOW that to be true but I would bet a 3mtr XLR lead on it!

My fave AI remains of course the NI KA6....NO! Worries about latency there!

Dave.
are you sure the NI card is good? i read a lot of reviews before going to the focusrite and NI had mixed reviews so I went away from it

In what ways were they knocking the KA6? I admit I have not looked for reviews (got one. Happy bunny with it!) but nothing has ever come to my attention on the 3 forums I regularly infest.

BTW. Magix Music SHOULD be ok.( I'll see if I can run the demo but I might have burned my boats at Magix!) Certainly Samplitude Silver Pro will work and is free! But there is always the fallback Reaper which is excellent.

Dave.

In what ways were they knocking the KA6? I admit I have not looked for reviews (got one. Happy bunny with it!) but nothing has ever come to my attention on the 3 forums I regularly infest.

BTW. Magix Music SHOULD be ok.( I'll see if I can run the demo but I might have burned my boats at Magix!) Certainly Samplitude Silver Pro will work and is free! But there is always the fallback Reaper which is excellent.
tnx. well I might consider the A6 I actually want to buy Mashine at some point but is a bit too pricy for a bigginer

MAGIX have let me install and run Music Studio so I shall hook up a MIDI keyboard later and see what happens.

Dave.

I have also installed MAGIX studio trial on my "big" computer and rigged the KA6 to an Evolution 49 dumb keyboard but try as I might I can find no way to use the KA6 as a MIDI input in the software, in fact I can't find a conventional input menu at all.

If you have not already bought the DAW, FCS download the 30day trial and check it out!

There is also a sneaky "cleaner" in the installation software. The install is a long one and it is very easy to just "click next, next" etc. The cleaner MIGHT be superb and a real asset but that is not the point. It is bloody disgusting of a major software maker to slide such a thing in.

Dave.

focusrite scarlet 2i4 or 2i4 I think they are a bit cheaper if you can get a studio bundle with a mic and then add the Rode NT1 at a later stage as you can start with very minimal and build up. Have a look at packages like the scarlet 2i2 studio bundle which comes with headphones and a microphone aswell as the interface various plugs and Cubase and a set of m audio monitors on top 5inch will be ideal for a starting point but I would advise on not going smaller as they wont be deep enough for the bottom end like bass guitar kick drum etc. hope this helps

tbx for the reply, I already bought the DAW for 100. so if I am not mistaken you are saying that the A6 doesn't work with MAGIX? does your keyboard work with MAGIX normally? In the worst case senario I might buy another DAW that will defenetly work with the keybord. any suggestions? I was thinking about Ableton but it will take me some time to learn how to use it. btw a friend of mine told me that in order to use the complete version of any DAW you don't only have to pay the price for the full package (540 somthing for Ableton) but u have to pay huge cash in order to be able to use the whole thing since the sounds have royalties. is that true?

I have also installed MAGIX studio trial on my "big" computer and rigged the KA6 to an Evolution 49 dumb keyboard but try as I might I can find no way to use the KA6 as a MIDI input in the software, in fact I can't find a conventional input menu at all.

If you have not already bought the DAW, FCS download the 30day trial and check it out!

There is also a sneaky "cleaner" in the installation software. The install is a long one and it is very easy to just "click next, next" etc. The cleaner MIGHT be superb and a real asset but that is not the point. It is bloody disgusting of a major software maker to slide such a thing in.

Dave.
tbx for the reply, I already bought the DAW for 100. so if I am not mistaken you are saying that the A6 doesn't work with MAGIX? does your keyboard work with MAGIX normally? In the worst case senario I might buy another DAW that will defenetly work with the keybord. any suggestions? I was thinking about Ableton but it will take me some time to learn how to use it. btw a friend of mine told me that in order to use the complete version of any DAW you don't only have to pay the price for the full package (540 somthing for Ableton) but u have to pay huge cash in order to be able to use the whole thing since the sounds have royalties. is that true?

Err? No! The attached is a grab of Cubase (LE6) playing Pianoteq* via the KA6 triggered fron the EKeys 49 dumb kbd (initially notes did not always sound but changing the input latency in the KA6 control panel from 1mSec(!) to 4mSecs cured this completely and still gave AFAICT, instant sound.)

This is EXACTLY the same hardware setup I had with MAGIX but nowhere could I find a means to set MIDI inputs and outputs..Well, no track setup menus at all in fact. I suppose I could check the manual but such things SHOULD be intuitive these days. I have trialled a great deal of audio and MIDI software and do not usually have a problem getting such a simple setup to work.

I strongly suggest you go to Steinberg's site and download the demo of Cubase? So many people here know it intimately that I am sure they will walk you through it. I don't really do much with the gear these days. My musical son is in France and mine and family health issues intrude. "But hai try Mr Fawlty. Hia try!"

As ever, give Reaper a do, cost you nowt! If I have time I shall try the same exercise in Reaper but although I have bought it I have never really got into it. Much more a Samplitude man!

*Modartt's Pianoteq is a fabulous piano sound generator. It is a tiny program but give great sound. The newest version is even better I read and it can do other instruments as well.

Err? WHY are you SO keen to slate the KA6?

Dave.

Attachments

• KA6 MIDI CUBASE.png
    KA6 MIDI CUBASE.png
    264.2 KB · Views: 21
Err? No! The attached is a grab of Cubase (LE6) playing Pianoteq* via the KA6 triggered fron the EKeys 49 dumb kbd (initially notes did not always sound but changing the input latency in the KA6 control panel from 1mSec(!) to 4mSecs cured this completely and still gave AFAICT, instant sound.)

This is EXACTLY the same hardware setup I had with MAGIX but nowhere could I find a means to set MIDI inputs and outputs..Well, no track setup menus at all in fact. I suppose I could check the manual but such things SHOULD be intuitive these days. I have trialled a great deal of audio and MIDI software and do not usually have a problem getting such a simple setup to work.

I strongly suggest you go to Steinberg's site and download the demo of Cubase? So many people here know it intimately that I am sure they will walk you through it. I don't really do much with the gear these days. My musical son is in France and mine and family health issues intrude. "But hai try Mr Fawlty. Hia try!"

As ever, give Reaper a do, cost you nowt! If I have time I shall try the same exercise in Reaper but although I have bought it I have never really got into it. Much more a Samplitude man!

*Modartt's Pianoteq is a fabulous piano sound generator. It is a tiny program but give great sound. The newest version is even better I read and it can do other instruments as well.

Dave.[/QUOTE
tnx for you reply my friend I will in fact try cubase and i will let you know if everything goes smothly if you wish. About the KA6, I just read good and bad reviews, to many bad oes for my liking that's all. I wish you and your familly quick recovery from your health problems I hope is nothing serious

Dave.[/QUOTE
tnx for you reply my friend I will in fact try cubase and i will let you know if everything goes smothly if you wish. About the KA6, I just read good and bad reviews, to many bad oes for my liking that's all. I wish you and your familly quick recovery from your health problems I hope is nothing serious

Thanks, I would love some links to these reviews!
Health issues are mainly age related I am afraid so they will not go away. BUT! We, wife and I, are far luckier than many. I have enough income to keep me comfortable so long as I don't blow on audio gear! My wife has just been awarded some extra benefit which will take care of the bills.

I mention these things because I am a technician not a musician but am interested in and get satisfaction from helping others.

Rock on,

Dave.

Thanks, I would love some links to these reviews!
Health issues are mainly age related I am afraid so they will not go away. BUT! We, wife and I, are far luckier than many. I have enough income to keep me comfortable so long as I don't blow on audio gear! My wife has just been awarded some extra benefit which will take care of the bills.

I mention these things because I am a technician not a musician but am interested in and get satisfaction from helping others.

Rock on,

Dave.
Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 Reviews | Sweetwater.com
Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 | Musician's Friend
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/reviews/789808-native-instruments-komplete-audio-6-a.html
I hope this are helpfull

Back