Advice on New Monitor Speakers Please

My 16kg (un-amped)boxes are direct coupled. The smaller boxes get some thin ?? expanded plastic just to keep them from walking too much

Coupling is good. Often that's a requirement with those 100-200- 500-lb Mastering monitors.

Ya the passive is often something one can do without. designed as the other end of a piston, one can get some of the action of two drivers in a piston config. Something Focal might of done

What is it you need to protect monitors from direct coupling for ? Bouncing needles in the bridge ? Basically, it's about how much the box itself vibrates, so if you get a measure of damping from this mounting, then that is a plus. With soffit, you can anchor things and get some of that solid bass one gets when they pour the 30-inch EV horns as they pour the basement

What is it you need to protect monitors from direct coupling for ?

If I had them sitting on top of a cement floor or on stands on top of a solid/dead floor ...no reason...but when they are sitting on a wooden "shelf" over the meter bridge and also partly on top of a wooden gear rack, that is connected to that meter bridge "shelf"...that stuff will vibrate/resonate....same as if they sat right on top of the meter bridge.

To me if your budget, and your space, can handle bigger, get bigger than 5in. But lots of folks like me have to deal with a small room, and not acoustically ideal. So I have these JBL's that do struggle with the low end, but it's all I can deal with at home. Volume is not an issue, should not be an issue for a typical home set up, with a decent set of monitors.

Just going to throw out a realization I just had. Size doesn't really matter when you go a bit higher in quality. I am amazed how much better $1500 monitors sound than $300 ones.

Mud is what I got from KRKG2 8's. Still dark from the Event TR8's I thought were better. They were, but....No comparison to the ADAM A7x's.

It took time using each, room treatment and years to actually know the difference and why that was.

..." actually know the difference and why that was"

In theory, understanding of those few examples, as far as technology and design goes, could allow one to set their own pricepoint. Adam a7x oh, that is nice - check. This is very, very nice - check. What's this porting ? - I dunno about that

Just to finish this thread off I finally bought a pair of Adam A7X monitors.
These monitors are excellent I hear things I didn't hear on my old monitors
and I am so glad I got them.

Back