adding more volumn to track parts

sparky123

been a while since I've visited, still consider myself a newbie. here's my question.... how can I raise the level of certain parts of a track( without affecting the rest of it) using presonus studio one pro2?

If you looking to raise the volume of one particular track for a few bars, you're looking for what's called "automation". I'm not familiar with you DAW, (Digital Audio Workstation) but look for automation in the help section. Automation allows you to place nodes and drag volume up/down. Automation can be used for a number of effects such as panning and filters depending on your software.

NoQuarterProductions.com

What is, automation?

EDIT: Was going for a Jeopardy feel, but I think that fell short.

Last edited:
Automation is something that actual machine type DAWs had which put little motors into the faders and you could make them go up and down - quite fun to watch - in the DAW world I'm not sure "automation" is the correct term any longer, although we all still use the term.

It's more likely called an "envelope" or some such term in the DAW itself.. no idea in your particular DAW - but when you find it, the whole world wil open up for you... because you can apply them to pretty much anything - it goes way, way, way beyond mere volume adjustments.

Enjoy!

Automation is something that actual machine type DAWs...
I know what you meant, and I'm pretty sure that you know what you meant, but this is a noob section, so...

DAW means "Digital Audio Workstations" and generally refers to software which is used for recording and manipulating audio in a digital format. That software may come bundled inside a hardware unit or be a separate program installed on a computer or other digital device.

Automation actually predates any DAW that I know of. The first was completely analog, driven by an audio clock signal coming off the tape, modulating voltage controlled motors to move the analog pots which affected the level of analog signals coming off of tape. Before too long at all, the actual control circuitry became digital, but (at least) the clock source was (and still is, for things that follow MTC) quite often still essentially an audio signal recorded to tape. Eventually we started recording all of the audio to digital, running to a digitally-controlled analog mixer. Then we moved the "automation equipped" mixer into the software which we were (are) using to record.

What is, automation?

EDIT: Was going for a Jeopardy feel, but I think that fell short.

Your Studio One Reference Manual should have it. In my copy (for Studio One Free 2.6.3) the Index has an entry for Automation, plus five sub-entries:

Automation, 152
Track, 152
Envelopes, 155
Modes, 158
Part, 159
Hardware Controllers, 168

(I rearranged the sub-entries to be in page order rather than alphabetical order.)

If you're using the PDF of the manual (like me), watch out for the difference in the page numbers-- it starts with seven pages numbered i through vii, followed by page 1, so when the Index says page 152 you need to add 7 to it to get the page number as displayed at the top of the PDF viewer (see below).

But there's actually an entire chapter about automation in the manual, which is quickly accessible using the PDF's bookmarks:

Studio One Automation.png

I never use it. Or at least, not in the way that it's being described by others in this thread.

I prefer to chop up my track (known as "item" in REAPER) and even out the levels that way. In REAPER, you can only bring down the level of an item, not up. So, I bring down the parts that are louder than the rest, and then turn up the whole track with the fader, if I need to bring it up. Not sure if every DAW works that way, so it might not apply to what you're using. But, just presenting another option.

I never use it. Or at least, not in the way that it's being described by others in this thread.

I prefer to chop up my track (known as "item" in REAPER) and even out the levels that way. In REAPER, you can only bring down the level of an item, not up. So, I bring down the parts that are louder than the rest, and then turn up the whole track with the fader, if I need to bring it up. Not sure if every DAW works that way, so it might not apply to what you're using. But, just presenting another option.

In my old version of Sony Vegas it works like that. But if I do want to bring up the gain of an audio block I can just normalize it, then trim it back down with the gain function.

Pro Tools, with version 10, has finally caught up and surpassed other DAWs with its Clip Gain feature. You can automate it just like the volume or any other parameter.

if I do want to bring up the gain of an audio block I can just normalize it, then trim it back down with the gain function.
Yeah, I didn't want to get too complicated, but I was going to mention that I've done that, too. :cool:

I know what you meant, and I'm pretty sure that you know what you meant, but this is a noob section, so...

DAW means "Digital Audio Workstations" and generally refers to software which is used for recording and manipulating audio in a digital format. That software may come bundled inside a hardware unit or be a separate program installed on a computer or other digital device.

Automation actually predates any DAW that I know of. The first was completely analog, driven by an audio clock signal coming off the tape, modulating voltage controlled motors to move the analog pots which affected the level of analog signals coming off of tape. Before too long at all, the actual control circuitry became digital, but (at least) the clock source was (and still is, for things that follow MTC) quite often still essentially an audio signal recorded to tape. Eventually we started recording all of the audio to digital, running to a digitally-controlled analog mixer. Then we moved the "automation equipped" mixer into the software which we were (are) using to record.

Does it matter? I'm trying to tell the OP what it might be called in his software and explain why it was called "automation" in the first place. The "W" in DAW implies more than software, even if that's what everyone calls it these days, and when I bought a Yamaha AW4416 15 years ago it had "Digital Audio Workstation" written on the box, which made sense as that's what it was... a workstation.

Reaper or Cubase or whatever is just software that does nothing much by way of recording unless teamed with a computer and an interface. It is DAW software... it is not a DAW.

It matters in that if you've just sent him and any other noob who comes through off into the world believing that automation is a development that applies only to DAWs. I'm just trying to point out that automation is a property inherited by today's DAWs from their analog forefathers, and can in fact be found in "fully analog" situations even today. My Ghost - a full analog mixing board - has a certain amount of automation capability.

Back