Acoustic Panels/volume of recording.

tomowen10

Hi Everyone. I've basically just set my home recording studio up at my house with acoustic panels in the corner of my bedroom looking out. Everything is working fine excluding the actual recording through the mic which is coming out ridiculously loud and the wave/volume that drags whilst i record is probably 3/4x what it was the other day and is ruining the recording. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot. :)

Acoustic panels will not affect the recording level in any way. You need to adjust the gain on the mic preamp to adjust the recording level.

Acoustic panels will not affect the recording level in any way. You need to adjust the gain on the mic preamp to adjust the recording level.

If you're going on the visual waveform it could simply be your zoom settings. Something else to consider.

I thought as much. How do i do that? sorry I'm new to all this only just started and I don't know an awful lot on the technical side. thanks for the reply

It sounds so much louder too, think I've done something in-between getting it from my friends room at university to my house.

There is a gain control for the mic. You might want to Crack open the manual.

Set the input gain on the interface such that the meters read -18dbfs during held notes. It doesn't matter what it looks like on the screen, that can be changed. It only matters what the actual level is. Looking at the meters is the only way to find that out.

Is it a USB mic? Windows 7?
If so look in the Windows Sounds Menu, find the USB mic and make it the default recording device (probably already is but if a laptop make SURE the internal mic is off!)

Now look for "Levels", probably set to 100%. Try 5% (yes FIVE!) and move on from there.

N.B. That ^ also applies with some V cheap interfaces/USB mixers that do not have their own drivers.

Dave.

Back