achieving stereo with one mic

intheband02

I'm using my mbox 2 with cubase 5 and I have one xlr mic going into input one. Is there any way to achieve stereo recording other than panning two tracks? I'd appreciate any suggestions.

I'm using my mbox 2 with cubase 5 and I have one xlr mic going into input one.

1 mic=mono.

2+ mics=stereo

Is there any way to achieve stereo recording other than panning two tracks?
If you only have one mic, but want a "stereo" recording, you have to record twice and pan.

You can record once with the mic on the Left side...and then a second time with the mic on the Right side....

:D

Just kidding.

;)

Only way to do it with a single mic is to use a stereo mic (which is basically two mics in one).

Stereo recording is *not* an electronic option. It is a way to use *2 or more mics* to create a model (it's only a model) of what you would have heard if you had been there when it was recorded. The only way to achieve this with one mic is to do what I did-rupture one of your eardrums beyond any hope of surgical repair! I advise against it, personally.-Richie

2 ways to do this...

I'm using my mbox 2 with cubase 5 and I have one xlr mic going into input one. Is there any way to achieve stereo recording other than panning two tracks? I'd appreciate any suggestions.

At first I thought this was a foolish question, but I realized there's no such thing as a foolish question, only a foolish answer, so this fool (me) decided to give you an answer...
By definition, stereo means "two", so you need either a stereo mic or to record twice then pan, but there are two ways you can create a stereo effect at mixdown with one mic and only one channel when recording only one take on one track with a mono microphone:

1) Take the mono track and pan it back and forth (L and R) like they did in the early days of stereo (jim hendrix, etc)
2) Take the mono track and run it thru a stereo simulation effect.

This probably isn't the sound you're looking for, but you asked a question and these are two ways you can achieve a stereo recording (at mixdown). ;)

...pretty good. We're 5 posts in and nobody has suggested "duplicating the track and panning". Maybe the average IQ of this place is rising?????

Nah.

...pretty good. We're 5 posts in and nobody has suggested "duplicating the track and panning". Maybe the average IQ of this place is rising?????

Nah.

No man, that's dumb.
You gotta duplicate and pan and delay the right one by a couple milliseconds.
That's how you get stereo.

Here's an option...

Record with one mic, place it slap bang in the centre of the mix, and apply a stereo type effect to it.. reverb, chorus, auto pan via your aux...

That would give you some sort of spatial width, I'd imagine...

Or you could copy the track, invert the polarity of the copy and put it in exactly the same spot at the same volume and the whole "how do I make this stereo?" problem will magically disappear... :laughings:

Just to keep this from running off the tracks:

There is a difference between stereo and two panned mono tracks. To be stereo, you must record with multiple mics using a proper stereo micing technique.

Without getting into it, the difference is more than semantic.

stereo with one mic = clapping with one hand

One could enthusiastically and repeatedly slap himself in the face...

Back