An Ableton / Cubase et al 'Lite' question.

samurai

I'm just about to pull the trigger on bagging my first Audio Interface and notice that the various models from different manufacturers come with such as Ableton 'Lite' or Cubase Lite or whatever...

Being new to digital recording, my question is... that apart from obviously giving a taster of the complete software's capabilities, what do these restricted versions actually allow you to do in terms of putting together a multi-track recording when you first get hold of your new AI?

In the photography world you often get Photoshop Elements given with new cameras which is a very cut-down version of the full Photoshop package but it's still useful.... are the cut down versions of Ableton et al, similar in that one can still put together a basic recording mix minus all the bells and whistles?

The limitations in Ableton lite would be:

1. Number of audio tracks (8)
2. Number of simultaneous effects
3. Not able to save a project

You can still create pretty kickass material with just 8 tracks but you'd want to have the option to save your project.

I think the licensed lite version you can save. There are track limits on analog and MIDI tracks, a few other things. One software we recommend that is not limited is Reaper. You get 30 days trail, and after 30 days you get a nag screen, after the nag screen goes away it is fully functional. $60 to purchase.

The limitations in Ableton lite would be:

1. Number of audio tracks (8)
2. Number of simultaneous effects
3. Not able to save a project

You can still create pretty kickass material with just 8 tracks but you'd want to have the option to save your project.

8 tracks are more than enough for my needs - I'm curious... could the project be saved to a reel to reel tape machine? I have a decent quality r2r machine which I've dug out and just giving it a service - it still records very well so if the output could be saved to that, that would do me for now until I find which software I like to work with.

I think the licensed lite version you can save. There are track limits on analog and MIDI tracks, a few other things. One software we recommend that is not limited is Reaper. You get 30 days trail, and after 30 days you get a nag screen, after the nag screen goes away it is fully functional. $60 to purchase.

I've heard good reports of Reaper ... at that sort of price it's worth it, even if it's not exactly what I want!!

Thanks to both of you for replying.

Depending what you want to do and your interface, you can do an analog out to your tape machine. If it has multi-tracks, some interfaces let you do multi-analog outs. But really, once you are in the DAW, there really is little reason to go to tape. There are some analog guys around here that can probably give you some tips to do that. Tape machine is not really needed.

Depending what you want to do and your interface, you can do an analog out to your tape machine. If it has multi-tracks, some interfaces let you do multi-analog outs. But really, once you are in the DAW, there really is little reason to go to tape. There are some analog guys around here that can probably give you some tips to do that. Tape machine is not really needed.

Thanks David... I don't think I'll do much analogue once I've got my digital setup - it was just curiosity as to whether I could record the the final tracks to tape if the 'Lite' versions were limited on saving the recordings until I find the software/DAW that suits me.
Once I've got the digital gear, I think the analogue stuff will go back in the loft!:D

I'm using both Ableton and Cubase. Ableton lite licensed and Cubase Elements. The Ableton came with a midi product and I can save projects, export to wav etc. I haven't run into any limitations for my needs which is recording a couple guitar tracks, vocal, keyboard and drum. Cubase cost me 99 bucks and I have the same benefits. Oh yeah, both upload to Soundclohd too. You might also check out Presonus One free version. The thing for me is Cubase is a more traditional DAW style where Ableton is quite different. I like both styles to suit my mood or goal. I tend to be more creative in Ableton for some reason. Just thought you might be interested in a point of view other than pure limitations. Once you find one or two you like you will probably be inclined to shell out some cash to overcome any product limitations anyhow.

Back