78 rpm vinyl-->CDR How?

Tom Mitchell

Ok, so I have a heap of 78 rpm records which I would like to xfer to cdr. My machine is a Celeron 400, 192Mb PC100 RAM, 20.4 Gig hard drive, Creative Live! soundcard, Mitsumi 8x read 4x write CDR etc etc.
So far I can play the vinyl through the soundcard. But, when it comes to recording a file then zilch! Do I need an analogue/digital converter or sumpin like that. Help! (that sounds suitably plaintive).

Things have improved, I now can record:-)
Updated the Creative s/w to Liveware 2.1 (not sure that helped though, and am now using Cool Edit.
So I am on my way. The only problem is wafting of into dreamland whilst listening to Richard Tauber singing his heart out. Hmm, guess I don't want THAT to change. :-)
Have another question though.

Will .wav format files play on a conventional home cd setup?

Thanks

Not until you burn them to CD-R, and those are the only files that can generally be burned direct to CD-R.

Are you sure about that? *.wav is a Windows TM file format. Apple has AIFF. Regular CDs have their own audio CD format. Burning CD's of *.wav files will be nice to play on your computer and do some editing, but I do not think a regular CD player will play it. Will it?

Check in your program for "Save as: audio CD"

Well the question was: Can I burn .wav files to CDR and listen to them in a conventional
CD player? Answer is still: No.
I'll occasionally do this, but this is a data format and not an audio format. The purpose is to store the .wav files for later editing.
The CDR burner software converts the .wav format to .cda format when you select audio CD creation instead of data CD creation.

[This message has been edited by drstawl (edited 08-03-1999).]

OK, OK...you're both right, you know. But what I simply meant was that most programs that make audio CDs can only do that from WAV files, not MP3s, RAs, AIFFs, or anything else.

Personally I hope wonderful things happen to all 3 of you :-) For out of this interchange am I learning.
Oh happy days.
So, to summarize:
1. In order to play on conventional non-computer-based cd player the file needs to be in cd audio data format.

2. I can, with the right software, convert most other file formats into .wav.

3. Having the files in.wav format will allow me to tinker, e.g. declick, denoise.

Have I understood you correctly?

[This message has been edited by Tom Mitchell (edited 08-04-1999).]

Almost perfect, but you should know that there's not really a "file" on an audio CD. Each stereo WAV file simply gets converted to whatever format goes on an audio CD as an individual track.

And just to clarify something in your original question...you already have an A/D converter on your sound card, which is how your vinyl audio gets into the sound card in the first place. And of course, you also have a D/A converter so you can hear it!

[This message has been edited by Dragon (edited 08-04-1999).]

Sure- but once again- they won't play in a regular CD player. Interesting idea though.
With some formats of .mp3, >20 hours of music
would be possible on one CD. At mp3.com they describe a very simple technique that turns the CD into an automatic multimedia presentation by using the autostart function
in Windows to call an .html file in the root
directory of the data CD, which can then call all kinds of other files on the CD. .wav, .mp3, .mid, .jpg, .avi you name it!

[This message has been edited by drstawl (edited 08-06-1999).]

Sorry about the misunderstanding. On re-reading your post, I saw that you were
talking about the S/W to convert .mp3 back to
.wav files for writing to an audio CDR. But remember that the quality will remain at the encoding rate of the original .mp3. So apart
from the convenience of playing them in a regular CD player, it's still .mp3 quality.
Anyone know of a CD-ROM drive (12V) for attachment to automobile .mp3 players now being sold?

Does this mean that there are sound quality advantages to coverting a .wav file to mp3 and back again? Or am I being "duh"?

Definitely not. Changing format from .wav to .mp3 is a conversion process that throws away most of the digital data (but does so carefully) to make the file smaller for the convenience of file transfer speed and storage space requirements. Changing it back to .wav shouldn't harm it as much, but this is still not a digital TRANSFER which is a zero loss process; it's another CONVERSION which has some loss associated with it.

Back