$6,000 Studio Build (Buying Within Week)

What I meant by making monitoring easier, when you're multitracking you need an ability to listen to tracks you've already recorded as well as the new track you're laying down. It's also important (as discussed earlier) to have the minimum of latency. You could in a pinch listen to the output of the built in sound card on your computer but that would reduce quality and it also only uses the generic Windows drivers which tend to be pretty high latency therefore affecting your timing.

The interfaces we've suggested all use what are known as ASIO drivers--they're specifically designed to bypass most of Windows and greatly reduce the latency. Be careful on the 2i2 though--unless they've come out with a Mark 2 lately it doesn't do MIDI. Also, the monitoring is a bit limited--a switch between input an the computer output. The Alesis i02 I mentioned has a knob that lets you create a mix between the input and computer output so you can hear everything at once.

AFAIK, the Babyface doesn't do effects--just good inputs on the mics or line. As for monitoring quality, once you get above the Realtek rubbish you won't hear a difference between a thousand dollar RME and a hundred dollar Alesis.

As for the POD or whatever, you'll likely find it easier to take the output of that into the basic interface at line level. Again, once you're at line level, (or even instrument directly in) you can worry a lot less about the interface. It's only on mics (which need a lot of gain in the preamp) that you get a major difference.

So I need to decide how I will be doing the guitar .. either POD, Eleven Rack or interface... and make sure my interface has those connections. BFP would help to future proof I'd say. But not sure at the moment now. Hm..:yawn:

So I need to decide how I will be doing the guitar .. either POD, Eleven Rack or interface... and make sure my interface has those connections. BFP would help to future proof I'd say. But not sure at the moment now. Hm..:yawn:

They have these things called "amps"...and you plug your guitar into them, and then stick a mic in front of the amp's speaker...
...meh...sounds too complicated. ;)

I dig all the ITB stuff...but sometimes it's actually nice to make some sounds, and then capture them, instead of always just triggering them in software. I mean...sound & air...they work together well.

Again, you really do need to do some reading before buying. The fact that you thought you could hook up a MIDI to XLR connection shows this.
If you (eventually) want to record acoustic guitar you WILL need to use a mic (or multiple). There isn't one person here who will tell you recording the pickup of an acoustic-electric is the way to go if you want an ACOUSTIC sound.

Back