$3000 budget HELP!

sethlit

HI, first of all this is my first post so nice to meet ya all. Thanks for all of the great info here. okay,

MY setup is---PC pentium III 640MB,soundblaster live, cool edit pro, yamaha MG12/4 mixer with phantom, GT 55 (groove tubes) condenser mic without a preamp, 2 older dynamic mics (they sound okay not great), 3 pairs of headphones, computer speaks for monitors (but learned to get okay mix on them), and one main room (14'X12") with a smaller room attatched (6'x4').

Now here's my situation...I recently had a guy approach me about investing in $2000 to $3000 in my music and recording ventures. I am fairly new at the recording thing but an experienced musician. SO before I waste away that sorta money I NEED some advice from you guys.

My goal: to be able to record bands live and not track by track. Thanks ahead for any help!

seth

First advice, build a faster p4 computer. Then soundcard, if you need quality you definitely need a betetr soundcard than soundblaster stuff. Check teh M=Audio series for the one that fits your budget. Then monitors, computer speakers is not an option. Some good mics and you are set.
I am sure you'll get more advice from others too....Good Luck!

sethlit said:
I am fairly new at the recording thing

You could invest the money in new gear or you could just go to a reputable studio and be done with it.

Buying your own gear is most productive in that you can always record again and again as many times as you want. On the other hand, learning to make broadcast quality studio recordings could be a long and bumpy road if you don’t really have the knack for it. Is he willing to wait while you learn the ropes on his dime? Does he expect instant results?

Recording can be a little like cooking. Just because you have the right ingredients, doesn’t mean you can prepare a gourmet meal.

I don’t mean to insult your abilities. You may well excel at it. Anything seems easy to learn when you love what you are doing.

Perhaps you could pay an experienced engineer to act as a consultant. He could not only tell you what to buy, but also come to your home and show you how to use it. Then you get the best of both worlds.

(Hmmm, that gives me an idea. Could there be a nitch in the marketplace? Nah! Forget it.)

Oh well, good luck dude.

Welcome to the board! Your biggest problem is the size of the room itself. $3000 won't fix that. My room is about the same size, and a live band is an acoustic and ergonomic nightmare. First, get a good band in there, have them play live, and see what it sounds like. Then envision the cables for all those drum mics, stands for the overheads, the love seat for their girlfriends to look on adoringly, amps, your control station. In my room, I don't do anything live that's bigger than a bluegrass trio or a string quartet. For what you want to do, I'd consider looking at the cost of renting or building a bigger room. First, put the band in your room, see if it sounds good, and how much room is left over.
I'm not saying what you want to do is impossible, only that problems with gear will be much smaller than the issues of the room itself.-Richie

RawDepth said:
You could invest the money in new gear or you could just go to a reputable studio and be done with it.

Oops!!! Excuse me!

I thought you meant that he wanted to invest in your songs.

"...investing in my music and recording ventures." Maybe I was confused over that line.

Did you mean that he wanted to back you in building a mobile studio to record live bands in bars and such???

Sorry man. My bad.

Okay, I'll shut up now.

this is great

first of all, I really appreciate all of your input...

I agree that the room is pretty small for pulling this off...but I do have a hallway outside the main room I was thinking about maybe having a guitarist out there...which might help out a little.
I have had numerous bands play here including mine, and it actually isn't as muddy sounding as I thought it would be...it's pretty dry. So I was sorta thinking it might work, but I haven't tried it so I appreciate any input.

Also, I do understand that I would have to learn the new equipt. before getting okay results. I guess I should have mentioned that this guy (the investor) is leaving for about 9 months which would give me a bit of time to become more familar with it. I have been recording for about year and a half, but only track to track with my own material, and a few acoustic singer/songwriter projects.

Mainly, I am concerned about running a monitor system so that all the players can hear whats going on...I think I know how to do this but I wanted to hear any advice about it. AND (sorry so many questions) about the soundcard in my comp...I'd like to get more inputs...any suggestions?

THANKS SO MUCH GUYS!
seth

Re: this is great

sethlit said:
about the soundcard in my comp...I'd like to get more inputs...any suggestions?

THANKS SO MUCH GUYS!
seth

Have you looked at the M-Audio Delta 1010? (mine's on it's way) It has 8 analog ins, and if you find that's still not enough you can link up to 4 units for a total of 32. If you can find a way to use all that in your space more power to ya.

m-audio 1010 vs. 1010LT

YEah I am thinking about the M-audio 1010...however can anyone tell me the difference between the M-Audio 1010 and the 1010LT besides the drastic price change????

Do a search here for the 1010.

Then order a Layla24.

You can thank me later.

Re: m-audio 1010 vs. 1010LT

sethlit said:
YEah I am thinking about the M-audio 1010...however can anyone tell me the difference between the M-Audio 1010 and the 1010LT besides the drastic price change????

the biggest difference is that in the 1010 the converters are housed in a sheilded breakout box. In the LT the converters will be inside the PC, a very noisy place.

c7sus said:
Do a search here for the 1010.

Then order a Layla24.

You can thank me later.

I did a search on the 1010 and found nothing but good things folks had to say. Have you had problems with one? What are the advantages to the Layla?

Back