2" 24 track reel to reel studio integrating...........

theholyweed

needing some help on the best way to integrating my tape machine into my studio...

Currently I have 24 mic lines from a stagebox in the live room, first 8 of which go into my CLM Dynamics DB8000s preamp, there are 2 sets of trs outputs for each channel, the first set goes into the first 8 input channels of my motu 24i/o and the second set go to the first 8 tape ins of my soundtracs topaz (for foldback monitoring purposes) the next 16 lines from the stage box then go into the remaining 16 mic pres on the topaz, with the 16 tapeouts then feeding the remaining inputs on the motu, I have a 2" 24 track reel to reel (trs jacks on all ins/outs) which I want to have setup so i have the option to split the tape outs to feed the tape machine instead of going straight to the motu and in turn with the outputs from the tape deck then feeding the 24 ins on the motu (so I can track to tape then dump the repro head straight into cubase)... which is the best way to go about this with the minimum amount of extra wiring? It would be good to also have the option to be able to have all the tape machine outs going straight to the desk so I could track and mix entirely on the tape machine...
I have a behringer ultrapatch kicking about and also a hardwire bantam style patchbay, I also have another topaz desk in the control room sitting side by side with its sister (although its never really been used) as I had at one point planned on buying another motu to allow for 48 channels on mixdown through both the desks (im not a big fan on mixing in the box, but alas with the amount of work with people on a budget its just not that feasible with time constraints etc)

Any help at all or alternative (better ways to hook this all up would be greatly appreciated as its starting to hurt my brain working out the best way to do it!

Cheers all

needing some help on the best way to integrating my tape machine into my studio...

Currently I have 24 mic lines from a stagebox in the live room, first 8 of which go into my CLM Dynamics DB8000s preamp, there are 2 sets of trs outputs for each channel, the first set goes into the first 8 input channels of my motu 24i/o and the second set go to the first 8 tape ins of my soundtracs topaz (for foldback monitoring purposes) the next 16 lines from the stage box then go into the remaining 16 mic pres on the topaz, with the 16 tapeouts then feeding the remaining inputs on the motu, I have a 2" 24 track reel to reel (trs jacks on all ins/outs) which I want to have setup so i have the option to split the tape outs to feed the tape machine instead of going straight to the motu and in turn with the outputs from the tape deck then feeding the 24 ins on the motu (so I can track to tape then dump the repro head straight into cubase)... which is the best way to go about this with the minimum amount of extra wiring? It would be good to also have the option to be able to have all the tape machine outs going straight to the desk so I could track and mix entirely on the tape machine...
I have a behringer ultrapatch kicking about and also a hardwire bantam style patchbay, I also have another topaz desk in the control room sitting side by side with its sister (although its never really been used) as I had at one point planned on buying another motu to allow for 48 channels on mixdown through both the desks (im not a big fan on mixing in the box, but alas with the amount of work with people on a budget its just not that feasible with time constraints etc)

Any help at all or alternative (better ways to hook this all up would be greatly appreciated as its starting to hurt my brain working out the best way to do it!

Cheers all

How TF does this get into the NEWB section of HOME(!) Recording?

FWIIW OP. There is a review of a tape syncing system in Sound on Sound sometime in 2011-2012 but my searches have so far come up with zilch. But THEY are the sort of people you should be talking to!

Dave.

Sorry im new to this site, have I posted this in the wrong section?

Im not interested in the clasp system..im not looking for DAW control of the tape machine, just the best way to hook it up to my existing setup....

....which is the best way to go about this with the minimum amount of extra wiring?

I have 2" 24-track tape deck, and large console, and all that other stuff...and I've never premanently plugged an entire row of pre outputs into a row of tape deck channels as a default hook-up.
IOW...unless you plan to be always recording all 24 track at the same time, you really don't need all that.

Plug in the mics/pres as you need them, into the tape tracks you want them to go to.

Ideally you would have an XLR mic patch bay with all the inputs of all your pres on it.
Then have all the line outputs of the pres on a seperate (1/4" or TT) bay(s).
You would also have both channel in and channel out of your deck on those bays with the other line-level I/Os.

Then you can plug a mic into any pre and route any pre output to any channel...as needed...rather than have specific pre outputs always going to specifc input channels on the tape deck.

Back