Are XLR camcorder connections important?

oneArtist

I've been researching prosumer camcorders and the Panasonic HC-X920 ($860) looks like the one to beat for the price. Some suggest the AG-AC90 ($1400) which has XLR mic inputs for better audio. The X920 has larger sensors and in many ways is more advanced and newer.
I have high end recording equipment including Samplitude Pro X, RME interfaces and lunch box components including tube preamps and very good mics. If I record audio separately I assume I can use PluralEyes 3 to sync my audio to Magix Pro X 14 video. I have interest and equipment for good audio recording and I would like to add a good camcorder that will compliment audio for music videos and documentaries. I'm leaning toward the X920 but would there be a strong argument for recording audio directly to the AG-AC90?

For music videos, you don't need high end mics on the camera. Just something good enough to capture the playback that the actors/talent/musicians are lip syncing to.

have you considered a DSLR for video? Although I see the X920 lens stops down to F1.5. That's pretty good for a camcorder. The remote control through wifi can be pretty handy , too.

have you considered a DSLR for video? .

I have considered DSLR as well as a couple Sony camcorders. For $860, there is nothing that matches the X920. A comparable Sony is about $1400. I'm not really sure what the recording quality is in a camcorder with XLR? Is it close to recording into Samplitude Pro X through RME Babyface? I have a Zoom H4 recorder I put in the subject's shirt pocket for interviews and I'll sync that audio using PluralEyes.

I'm not really sure what the recording quality is in a camcorder with XLR?

I'm not sure either, but I wouldn't care to use it anyways. At least not in music videos. Perhaps other type of video work, it might be important. You mentioned interviews, so maybe quality mics and the XLR connectors will be the best choice there.

How well does the H4n in the pocket work?? Do you get a lot of noise when person moves around?

Disclaimer: I'm no video expert. I just know what worked for me in the few videos I've done. (They aren't that great)

The H4n is a nice little recorder that will automatically adjust to a very quiet whisper to loud talking. Besides the cross fire stereo mics on top, there are two XLR inputs on the bottom. You could actually record using four separate mics and it will also provide phantom power.

I'm looking for the best camcorder I can get for the best price. Although I really like audio recording, video quality is my main concern for a camera. I don't really plan to record many music videos, if any. The X920 is a three sensor camera that also records low light very well with the 1.4 lens. It would be nice to find someone who does quality digital audio recording who also has experience with an XLR camcorder. How do they compare?

Problem with using a mic on the camera (even if the mic is a good one) is that sound of the BAND will change as the camera moves around. You need a steady, balanced BAND signal, not individual instrument levels lowering and rising as the camera moves around. For that, you'll need to have direct inputs from the instruments/vocals into a mixing board - or use a fixed position stereo mic in front of the band. You process the sound file, then swap it into the video editor and replace the camera's sound track. This technique also permits using two or three cameras and varying the video feeds - also adjusted in the video editor.

If I record audio separately I assume I can use PluralEyes 3 to sync my audio to Magix Pro X 14 video.

You don't need any fancy software.

Just use a 1920-era clapboard (or even a handclap or drumstick clack) as a reference point to line up the audio and video the same way movie studios have done for a century.

Attachments

• clapboard.jpg
    clapboard.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 89
Back