Would you have used more effects?

yetanother

Hey guys,
I just shot my first band video, It turned out pretty good, but in the end, I had the feeling that more effects might have made it better. It`s a story of a guy who loses his heart and calls the police, asking them to find the heart thief. Stories need continuity more than effects, I said to myself. But I`m pretty sure we`ll be using more effects in the next ones.
What do you guys think?
S.O.S (by Up to You) - YouTube
So far the feedback wasn`t too bad. It got 7000 views in one week, even though we were expecting 7.000.000:))
Cheers
A.D

Good song, good video. Yeah, a good storyline will keep them watching and you've got that covered. I didn't notice too many effects, so I think you integrated them well into the video.

More and more, I find that shooting video and recording songs are very similar in a lot of respects. For recording a song, the best are the ones where the song is nearly done before the tape starts rolling. The mix doesn't need many adjustments to fix things because the instrumtents, performers and recording environment were top notch. Effects are added to enhance and not to hide or repair. Same with video, shoot it right and you don't need many effects.

I don't know what effects you think you might add to the video to make it better. I think it's pretty good as is. I saw a couple of edit flubs, but nothing detrimental. I have a book called Shooting Video That Doesn't Suck (or something similar) and the author is emphatic about minimizing effects.

Hey, where was the video shot?

Cheers!
It was shot in the heart of Osaka (Japan), on a Nikon 90 and edited with Imovie!
That explains the lack of mindblowing effects and the....asian girls:))
I`ll check out that book!
Cheers

Yeah, the asian girls are an effect that can only enhance a video. :p :D

I'd love to upgrade my DSLR to something that shoots video, but my current one is working fine and the wife won't allow me to spend unnecessary money. :o

peace,

I know what you mean. I`m aiming for a Canon eos7 ....but I have to wait for the green light from my wife.
It might take a few months. Or a Mark ii canon. That would be a dream come true:)
The logic studio 9 and the korg synthesizer I got yesterday will keep me busy for a while though I reckon:)

Really good song & flick. The narrative is strong & the few effect used add to rather than distract from the song. That said, the addition of lovely japanese ladies certainly has its own unique value.

Back