What video editing software do you use?

I like Adobe Premier Pro. It offers a wide selection of built-in effects and allows for easy customization, enabling me to add that extra touch of creativity to my videos. The ability to work with multiple video and audio tracks simultaneously further enhances my editing capabilities, providing a flexible and efficient editing experience. Additionally, Premiere Pro supports a wide range of video formats, ensuring compatibility with different cameras and devices. This flexibility is invaluable when working with various sources and collaborating with others who may use different equipment.
remote employee monitoring software

Last edited:
I like Adobe Premier Pro. It offers a wide selection of built-in effects and allows for easy customization, enabling me to add that extra touch of creativity to my videos. The ability to work with multiple video and audio tracks simultaneously further enhances my editing capabilities, providing a flexible and efficient editing experience. Additionally, Premiere Pro supports a wide range of video formats, ensuring compatibility with different cameras and devices. This flexibility is invaluable when working with various sources and collaborating with others who may use different equipment.
This reads like it was written by AI lol

I suspect that the source of that post may well have been somewhat electronic. The thing makes perfect sense and is grammaticaly formed but humans rarely actually speak, and by translation, type like that. However - students do. Flesch-Kinkaid word scores and reading levels mean they use verbose speech like that - so students need to speak like that, so frequently cheat, or if they do do it themselves, get stuck in babble.

I suspect that the source of that post may well have been somewhat electronic. The thing makes perfect sense and is grammaticaly formed but humans rarely actually speak, and by translation, type like that. However - students do. Flesch-Kinkaid word scores and reading levels mean they use verbose speech like that - so students need to speak like that, so frequently cheat, or if they do do it themselves, get stuck in babble.
Yeah, it’s just weird. Sound very…not human.

I’ve caught several people on Reddit using AI in the comment section.

Very few people care if you can’t write well. If you have to use AI to form some writing, you’re already writing by inputting what it should say. Makes zero sense to me.

It's either AI, or else they are regurgitating some ad copy.

You'll know that AI has gotten smart when they start throwing in some split infinitives, a few colloquial phrases, make a 20 line post without any paragraphs, and for good measure, use all caps.

I've used Premiere for 25+ years, but yesterday, I've reached my update limit. My best and fastest reliable PC is not updatable to use the latest version - I have to buy a new computer with a compatible processor - the i7 of just 3 years ago (a mid range one then) can't do what Adobe needs. That is not in this years budget, the audio studio computer was - so now I have to buy two? Really?

I've used Premiere for 25+ years, but yesterday, I've reached my update limit. My best and fastest reliable PC is not updatable to use the latest version - I have to buy a new computer with a compatible processor - the i7 of just 3 years ago (a mid range one then) can't do what Adobe needs. That is not in this years budget, the audio studio computer was - so now I have to buy two? Really?
Just how necessary is it for you to update Premiere though?

Just how necessary is it for you to update Premiere though?
Updated software is usually required if you collaborate with others or send your files to others that need to be able to manipulate the project. I ran into this in my professional life as a mechanical designer. An older version of (insert software name here), will not open the latest versions saved project file unless the person using the newer software version saves the project to be compatible with the older version. The catch is, saving the project to be compatible with the older version means some of the newer features will not work and the person with the older program version still can't use the newer software versions project files, hence the need to upgrade.

If you are only working with your own projects there is no need to upgrade unless there are new features you want in the latest version. For video, I use Vegas Pro 16. I don't need the latest version as this works for my own projects.

I downloaded DaVinci Resolve based on some comments in this thread. So, thanx.

But I'm getting an "Incompatible GPU" error. I have no idea what to change to fix this. Or, does it mean that my up to date Windows 11 Laptop is somehow not compatible with this software, which I would find hard to believe?

I downloaded DaVinci Resolve based on some comments in this thread. So, thanx.

But I'm getting an "Incompatible GPU" error. I have no idea what to change to fix this. Or, does it mean that my up to date Windows 11 Laptop is somehow not compatible with this software, which I would find hard to believe?

It could well be that you don't have sufficient memory to meet DaVinci's requirements. 16GB RAM, 2GB of VRAM. You may need to get the OpenGL runtime. Cuda 11 is from Nvidia, so if you are using Intel's internal GPU, you might want to look at ZLUDA which allows you to run CUDA code on Intel UHD graphics. I can't run DaVinci on my system as I only have 12GB RAM.

I think most video processing folks are using machines with dedicated video cards, not laptops. Those honking good video cards can run as much as a laptop.

Windows​

Minimum RequirmentsRecommended Requirements
OS VersionWindows 10 Creators UpdateWindows 10 Creators Update
CPUNot specifiedHD: 4 cores4K: 6 cores6K-8K: 18 cores
RAM16GB; 32GB for FusionHD: 16GB 4K: 32GB 6K-8K: 64GB
GPUIntegrated or discrete with at least 2GB of VRAM and supports OpenCL 1.2 or CUDA 11 + Latest driverBlackmagic Design Desktop Video 10.4.1 or laterHD: 4GB VRAM4K: 8GB VRAM6K-8K: 20GB VRAM
StorageNot specifiedSDD for OS, SDD for Media, SSD for Cache, and HD for Storage

It could well be that you don't have sufficient memory to meet DaVinci's requirements. 16GB RAM, 2GB of VRAM. You may need to get the OpenGL runtime. Cuda 11 is from Nvidia, so if you are using Intel's internal GPU, you might want to look at ZLUDA which allows you to run CUDA code on Intel UHD graphics. I can't run DaVinci on my system as I only have 12GB RAM.

I think most video processing folks are using machines with dedicated video cards, not laptops. Those honking good video cards can run as much as a laptop.

Windows​

Minimum RequirmentsRecommended Requirements
OS VersionWindows 10 Creators UpdateWindows 10 Creators Update
CPUNot specifiedHD: 4 cores4K: 6 cores6K-8K: 18 cores
RAM16GB; 32GB for FusionHD: 16GB 4K: 32GB 6K-8K: 64GB
GPUIntegrated or discrete with at least 2GB of VRAM and supports OpenCL 1.2 or CUDA 11 + Latest driverBlackmagic Design Desktop Video 10.4.1 or laterHD: 4GB VRAM4K: 8GB VRAM6K-8K: 20GB VRAM
StorageNot specifiedSDD for OS, SDD for Media, SSD for Cache, and HD for Storage

Ah! That must be it, thanx! I checked my system details and I only have 8GB RAM. :(

I was looking at a Lenovo I5-12400 system to upgrade my old Dell with an 13 yr old Phenom X6 processor or my 4th Gen Lenovo.. I thought it would be good for audio and maybe change over to DaVinci. The price is good, and it has PCI x16 slot, but all the video cards take so much power that the lowly 280W power supply would choke on it. So either I pony up for a bigger system, or just go back to building one.

So for now, I'm thinking just get one of the mini PCs for my Email/Taxes/Quicken/Browsing computer, which is the Dell. I might just pick up a new SSD and clone the Lenovo system drive and see if I can get the Win 11 hack to work. I don't think it has a slot for a hardware TPM module. I still have all my installation files for Cyberlink PowerDirector 15, and the serial numbers, plus all the Reaper stuff. so at the worst, I can get the I5-12400 system, be up to date and a bunch quicker than what I have now, which works pretty well. I just hate to toss a perfectly good computer because Microsoft mandates it.

Then again, I just repurposed two old computers. One has Linux MInt and I used it to learn about virtual machines (it has virtual installs of OS/2 and Win ME), the other has a fresh XP install, just for playing my old games that won't work under Win10 or 11.

I run DaVinci on a MacBook Pro (M1 chip). A friend of mine though, semi-professional filmmaker, uses a gaming laptop for his work because the GPU is, well, built for high-load graphics stuff.

Serendipity, I thought about the Mac Mini, but I have ZERO stuff for the Mac, so it would be just for Reaper and DaVinci. I don't do enough audio/video stuff to justify a grand for a 16GB M2 Mini. Plus I would still need to update the old Dell within 2 years. And I need to keep the old system running for the Cyberlink projects.

The Lenovo I was looking at is under $500, and I can add 16GB ram for $50, plus pull the 2TB drive from the old computer. The little mini PC I was looking at is $250. I could add a TB SSD for $60 and have two working systems with Win11 and wouldn't need to learn ANOTHER operating system (Linux and Windows is enough.. this old addeled brain isn't as sharp as it used to be).

Adobe release new updates and new features at least weekly, and one of the subscription major benefits is this constant currency. Worse for me is that all my computers at two locations are synched so at some point, you try to open a project to discover it’s not going to happen. Yesterday I powered up an old computer with XP and ran some of the old stuff and hadn’t realised how much had changed in the five years since last power up.
even worse, is that people who make things like VSTi stuff make it for the latest OS and the latest applications, development stops for old versions, so NOT upgrading locks you into restricted upgrades for all sorts of thing. Black magic have a switch that could make their free excellent editor not work, or they could restrict features. Even though it is free it is regularly updated.

cubase upgrades cost, so does sound forge, yet I update those too, and I’ve just updated another because it couldn’t do what I needed, but the new version did!

Back