What type of camera makes this type of Music Video?

jt47000

Hi guys,

I'm looking to film a guitarist and create a music video like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo3guPhG89E

I'm quite a novice with video recording, this almost looks like a movie, the way its shot (atleast to me). Is that the lens used in the camera? I noticed theres a few camera angles as this guitarist is playing it one time through, could I do this with 3 or 4 go pros?

I currently have a Samsung Q10 video camera and I feel like ive outgrown it. What would you recommend for high def video recording to shoot videos just like the one above?

Also, I shoot guitar lessons, what would you guess in terms of type of camera this guy uses?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZwqulxboIg

Thanks for all your help!

JT

I will take a stab, it was multi cameras, edited in a Movie editor, the audio was recorded to most likely a DAW of some sort, mixed down and exported out to the video editor where it was synchronized back for a final rendering.

That would be my guess.

There are four cameras. By the limited depth of field I'm guessing DSLRs. GoPros have much wider angle lenses than what I see in that video.

I'd be willing to bet the camera was a Canon 7D or something similar. Those are popular with music video production. But any late model DSLR can give spectacular video.

Audio was captured separately and added in later.

Yes, definitely. It is not live audio.
Nikons (like mine D3300) will give you same video, if not better.
Operator took a bit shaky video.

This is without a doubt DSLR footage. Possibly a higher end digital cinema camera, but judging by budget I would bet DSLR. I wouldn't say 7D. To me it looks very Canon 5Dmkii with a 50mm f1.8 or possibly f1.4

To achieve this "cinematic" look you are talking about, all you need is a camera that allows you to manually control the aperture of your lens. The cheapest/easiest solution to that is a DSLR that can record in 1080p.

Also, to remark on what some other people have said, no you definitely DO NOT need to record this with 4 cameras. You record it with one camera 4 times over. The artist plays to a click-tracked version of the studio mix and that way you can sync it all up in the edit. There is no reason to spend the money trying to get 4 cameras and 4 operators for those cameras on set.

I wouldn't reccomend GoPro as it will not give you the filmic quality you are looking for, and the intense 180 degree FOV makes for ugly images (stylistically it can be useful, but not often)
If you have any other questions, I would be happy to go into any amount of detail you want :)

Source for my info: I'm in the film industry (albiet still young). I'm on this site for my hobby of recording music. My true passion lies with cinema.

Also, to remark on what some other people have said, no you definitely DO NOT need to record this with 4 cameras. You record it with one camera 4 times over. The artist plays to a click-tracked version of the studio mix and that way you can sync it all up in the edit. There is no reason to spend the money trying to get 4 cameras and 4 operators for those cameras on set.

Except in this case it looks like a live take with four cameras. Notice how they are each positioned to keep the other cameras out of the shot. And I didn't see any continuity errors, like a facial expression that didn't match when one camera angle cut to another.

I don't think the audio was recorded before the video, I think the video documents the actual performance. And if the audio had been prerecorded he wouldn't need a click track, he would just need to follow the recording.

My first opinion was multiple cameras and one take, but I can't find any out of place fingers - and his screwed up expressions are matched shot to shot. As it's demonstrating the sound of the pickups, I suspect it actually is a one shot multi-camera version.

Except in this case it looks like a live take with four cameras. Notice how they are each positioned to keep the other cameras out of the shot. And I didn't see any continuity errors, like a facial expression that didn't match when one camera angle cut to another.

I don't think the audio was recorded before the video, I think the video documents the actual performance. And if the audio had been prerecorded he wouldn't need a click track, he would just need to follow the recording.

Definitely a good point. I got a bit caught up in worrying that the OP was going to end up trying to do an actual multicam shoot (its really needless when your on a small budget). This definitely looks multicammed. Also, very possible that the audio was live. However I think a click track is always beneficial when using a prerecorded track, otherwise it could possibly cause minor sync issues between the recording and live performance.

The camera quality of the video was very high, suggesting that it was most definitely filmed with a DSLR. As many others have said, yes there were definitely multiple cameras used when making that video. Most people wouldn't have the budget to purchase 4 high quality DSLRs, so my suggestion would be to stick with one and then just shoot the same video 4 times with the camera at a different position each time.

DSLR or any decent camcorder--important bit is that they have manual focus adjustment and camera operators who know how to use it. The lighting and cameras were adjusted so they were shooting nearly wide open to give the limited depth of focus. At least some of the stuff was probably shot with a slightly longer lens from farther away to enhance the limited focus depth.

It may have been 4 cameras or, if he was playing along to a pre-recorded track, it may have been four different takes with the same camera, then put together in editing. The one camera/four takes method makes it easier to ensure a consistent colour balance than four different cameras--pro gear gives you more flexibility to manually match cameras than DSLRs and the like.

Or of course, any combination so two cameras two takes. Personally I doubt it was four because there is such limited space and some shots go quite close. However, the OP has all the techniques available now. He can also see how some shots that should have been dumped from the bin are still in there. Although I realise some people love out of focus shots period, I believe they need to have a context and reason. This is a guitar video, meant for guitarists as the primary audience so having soft left hand fingers may be "pretty" I cannot say cinemagraphic without grinning. However, leaving in the shot where the camera is trying to find focus and failing is a beginners mistake. Liked the audio quality, which with the absence of mics means it must have been DI'd or playback. Wobblycam is unforgivable nowadays with modest priced gimbals available. Personally I understand low light shallow depth of field, but absolutely hate it, because with multi cameras the chances of a perfect edit are slim. You ALWAYS find one section where none of the cameras has a solid shot, so you always shoot reverse angles or more face shots that can be used to cover the gaps. I have many cameras, and a DSLR that I shoot stills on. I never shoot video with it, as it doesn't work for me at all. Loads love them, I hate them. I of course never make pretty videos. Mine tend to be boring, industrial and theatre stuff where rock solid focus, decent grip equipment and facilities are needed.

I do have quite a few gopros that I use for hiding on sets and they are surprisingly good for making videos, as long as you realise the wide angle lens bends verticals and horizontals (like strings) and make noses big! You can use these weirdnesses to advantage with planning.

I haven't looked at it lately, but as I recall it's almost certainly four cameras. Too much care was taken to keep each camera out of the other shots. And having edited quite a bit of live multi-camera video it just looks live, like each cut matches up in terms of posture and timing. Someone might play almost the same several times but he won't hold his body position exactly the same.

It would mostly be editing work on this video that made it looka as it did. They used filters on the editor to make the colorful spots and just looked the videos together to form one nice video.

Back