Are visuals music videos LEGIT music videos?

JMAAMusic

Take this for example:

For me and for now it's my cheapest and easiest way of making a music video, but I don't know if this could be legitly music videos.

Similar visuals, in my experience, typically fall under 'Installation Art" as they are growing in popularity replacing the typical light show for band back drops and visuals for clubs and galleries. ie Instead of sinking tens of thousands of dollars in individual lights that need a controller and operator a small theater grade projector can be easily transported, setup, and programmed with content. Even some of the popular stage lights like ETC Source Four's can be converted into projectors.

Ableton has a plug in, if I understand the topic, to include performance visuals in a Live performance. There are also MIDI to DMX controllers that add to the light show performance pre-programmed by MIDI events and some MIDI to DMX mapping.

For videos, if it works with the music I think it is a music video. Sure beats some dude lip syncing and a bunch of women rubbing all over them or some car (80's hairband videos). I could also see people actually playing a video like the one you showed verses the one I described.

By the original standards of music videos, any video matched up to your song would count. The medium has evolved over the years tho. (e.g. Sia's Chandelier has a "Lyric video" as well as a music video, and the lyric video has much better production on all counts than pretty much any video pre 1990.)

This particular case is somewhat problematic though because you presumably don't have the rights to use Penn Gillette's likeness or video clip. So while standards-wise you could call it a music video; legally, you probably shouldn't.

I use Sony Vegas to do productions for drama. I can have sound, visual, and run a light show via the midi...works for the kind of "acting" we do. Should be able to do the same for a live music performance.

AFA the OT...Any video that looks good to the artist or the music is a good video for their music. IOW, if you like it, keep it.

Pretty sure Penn won't mind until it goes viral and starts making money, then you might have issues.

Stay poor and unknown, less complex.

Back