Videocamera with audio inputs?

notCardio

I walk the line
Anyone know of a relatively inexpensive consumer-level camera with audio inputs? They used to be fairly common, but I don't see them anymore. I'd like to record a live situation and just take a feed off of a mixer for the audio, bypassing the camera mic. I know that I could just record the audio and video separately, but I've never tried to sync anything before, and I'd like to keep it as simple as possible.

Thanks.

What do you consider "relatively inexpensive?" I know the Canon HF R100 has an audio input and it costs around $250 with 1080p/60i capture. Are you looking to spend more or less than $250?

There are a few cheaper cameras around that have audio inputs . . . I've got two Panasonics that can do this (which is why I got them). However, the majority of these audio inputs are mike, rather than line, level inputs. The other difficulty that I have is that these inputs do not bypass the cameras internal automatic gain control.

Getting proper line level inputs usually comes with the more expensive cameras.

Yep, syncing is easy . . .but that's not the reason for needing other audio inputs.

There are times when I need to capture the sound of whatever I'm recording. For example, I had to get a sequence of a train crossing a bridge. For that you usually need better mikes than the camera inbuilts. That's when extra inputs are handy.

However, you could also use a handheld recorder as an alternative.

What do you consider "relatively inexpensive?" I know the Canon HF R100 has an audio input and it costs around $250 with 1080p/60i capture. Are you looking to spend more or less than $250?

I looked that up, and it says the input is mic, not line. I was looking for a line-level stereo input. Thanks for the info anyway. I'll see if I can learn to sync, but it seems to me that you would need some reference point to line up the starting times, like a slate or something.

I looked that up, and it says the input is mic, not line. I was looking for a line-level stereo input. Thanks for the info anyway. I'll see if I can learn to sync, but it seems to me that you would need some reference point to line up the starting times, like a slate or something.

I have edited a ton of video and have never used a slate. Have you tried it? Seriously man - if you can mix a song in a DAW you can edit video

Okay, well I'm sure you'll do fine with syncing. It really isn't hard at all, especially if you know how to use the time markers in your editor. A slate does help, but isn't necessary.

Back