Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Video is expensive, and other learnings...

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    84
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    546878
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Better equipment in terms of cameras will only make things sharper. You can still suck at lightning, framing, angles, etc... then add in your editing skill (too many cuts, color grading, synchronization with audio, etc... There are many more ways to screw up video, than audio -- and even poor audio can screw it up -- and you notice bad video no matter what you are viewing it on, too.

    So it's not really the same, but parts of it are, as you say.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    84
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    546878
    I just watched those 2 videos from earlier in this thread (Recolive and iOgrapher). Those don't solve what you are trying to do with "recording live". Those apps have one real purpose: live video production. They are designed to allow you to skip the editing and combining of the shots. (I realized this when people were talking about WiFi -- you never need any connectivity for recording a live performance while shooting, unless you are trying to broadcast it.) Just hit record on all 3 cameras, sit down and play live, then collect and edit. No need for OBS, or these apps for that, as you aren't streaming the output.

    I've used OBS, XSplit and vMix for those types of things for streaming sports live -- and the skillsets involved are different than recording a live performance and editing later.

    Those apps have a built in switcher ("go camera two" capability), that I believe isn't what you were looking for, was it?

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Texas USA
    Posts
    1,222
    Thanks
    96
    Thanked 236 Times in 222 Posts
    Rep Power
    993024
    Quote Originally Posted by BxD View Post
    I just watched those 2 videos from earlier in this thread (Recolive and iOgrapher). Those don't solve what you are trying to do with "recording live". Those apps have one real purpose: live video production. They are designed to allow you to skip the editing and combining of the shots. (I realized this when people were talking about WiFi -- you never need any connectivity for recording a live performance while shooting, unless you are trying to broadcast it.) Just hit record on all 3 cameras, sit down and play live, then collect and edit. No need for OBS, or these apps for that, as you aren't streaming the output.

    I've used OBS, XSplit and vMix for those types of things for streaming sports live -- and the skillsets involved are different than recording a live performance and editing later.

    Those apps have a built in switcher ("go camera two" capability), that I believe isn't what you were looking for, was it?
    If you'd gone back a little farther, and maybe you did, you can see a couple videos from a week ago I did, which is what you describe. The problems with live capture that I have are more related to putting cameras in static locations where they cannot be actively monitored, or even accessed, and when something goes wrong, like battery, focus drift, or accidental angle change (operator in a hurry because I'm standing on a stepladder in front of someone!), changing lighting and locations of people back/forward/left/right in what might have been a good frame for group A, but not B, etc., etc.

    Like I've said, just venting a little while I figure out which things I can tackle with what I have while still shelling out $ for things like storage just to keep the "investigation phase" going!
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Age
    33
    Posts
    5,480
    Thanks
    340
    Thanked 336 Times in 330 Posts
    Rep Power
    19269677
    Quote Originally Posted by TAE View Post
    That is super cool.
    What I'm picturing now is someone doing an updated version of Awesome; I Fuckin' Shot That! with this tech.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Texas USA
    Posts
    1,222
    Thanks
    96
    Thanked 236 Times in 222 Posts
    Rep Power
    993024
    Quote Originally Posted by BxD View Post
    Better equipment in terms of cameras will only make things sharper. You can still suck at lightning, framing, angles, etc... then add in your editing skill (too many cuts, color grading, synchronization with audio, etc... There are many more ways to screw up video, than audio -- and even poor audio can screw it up -- and you notice bad video no matter what you are viewing it on, too.

    So it's not really the same, but parts of it are, as you say.
    Any sites like this you can recommend for feedback on videos, specifically about those things I emphasized in your post? (Some things, like lighting & angles, are severely constrained in the small club spaces I've been working with!)
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    84
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    546878
    Wow... sorry about only just seeing this now (today). Dunno how I missed it earlier...

    To answer your question, I actually don't know of any "HomeRecording . com" type sites for video. Maybe the guys over at "AVForum . com" might. I have not been there in ages though. There is also "forum.videohelp . com" and actually YouTube is also your friend here too.
    Last edited by BxD; 4 Weeks Ago at 13:33. Reason: Additional Info

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ranelagh Tasmania
    Age
    67
    Posts
    7,490
    Thanks
    175
    Thanked 533 Times in 427 Posts
    Rep Power
    21474856
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmys69 View Post
    Good lord, the editing alone likely takes more time than the recording does... Over-exaggeration but damn... Not my forte...
    I am currently editing a theatre production, making a composite of three separate performances, each videoed with a single camera, but focussing on different parts and at different zooms to give visual interest. So far getting the first 20 minutes done has taken 6 hours. At the rate I've only got 21 more hours to go!

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    84
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    546878
    6 hours? What toolset are you using? If a single "target" with 3 stationary cameras, it should be pretty straightforward (unless the tools aren't right or you are doing some serious color grading or other large changes).

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    7,453
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 409 Times in 383 Posts
    Rep Power
    14599014
    Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    Any sites like this you can recommend for feedback on videos, specifically about those things I emphasized in your post? (Some things, like lighting & angles, are severely constrained in the small club spaces I've been working with!)
    Video Editing Forums: Digital Director

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ranelagh Tasmania
    Age
    67
    Posts
    7,490
    Thanks
    175
    Thanked 533 Times in 427 Posts
    Rep Power
    21474856
    Quote Originally Posted by BxD View Post
    6 hours? What toolset are you using? If a single "target" with 3 stationary cameras, it should be pretty straightforward (unless the tools aren't right or you are doing some serious color grading or other large changes).
    It's more like three targets with a single camera. So when cutting in I have to match actions and speech. I also have to cut out jerky pans and zooms and find alternatives for those spots.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The most expensive mic...
    By Scorpio61 in forum Microphones
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 01-13-2011, 22:37
  2. expensive mics with not so expensive pre-amps?
    By antman in forum Microphones
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 01-04-2008, 13:46
  3. Most expensive mic I have ever seen!
    By PhilGood in forum Microphones
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-13-2007, 11:37
  4. Are Expensive Mics Expensive To Manufacture?
    By popkid in forum Microphones
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 02-09-2005, 13:04
  5. Best Expensive Amp?
    By hixmix in forum Guitars and Basses
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-17-2002, 23:26

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •