Simple setup to record covers for youtube?

Timmy Ford

I hate the search functions in all of life ;).

Basically I am looking to go audio out from my mixer into my computer where I can capture the video with it. I have a Presonus mixer with a built in interface. Would anyone recommend a plug and play program for PC and maybe a good camera?. Tips, tricks etc?

Thanks!

Are you doing a single-cam setup? So just matching one camera to the audio track? Whatever software ships with your OS will probably work (Windows movie Maker or whatever)

Are you doing a single-cam setup? So just matching one camera to the audio track? Whatever software ships with your OS will probably work (Windows movie Maker or whatever)

Yes just a single cam. I guess the only thing I am wondering about is feeding the audio from my mixer into a specific program in real time. Will it go main out from the mixer into 1/8 mic input?

Does your mixer connect directly to the DAW? If so, I'd recommend routing into that instead. That way you can do a more careful mix afterwards and sync it with the video later.

Why not just run out of the mixer into the camera...Id reccomend a sony ax33 4K camera since its on clearence right now...and you can pan and scan 4K video while still having good HD quality...

I'd be worried about screwing up the mix. It's hard to get a mix perfect live from the board. The longer you can keep the audio multi-track, the better, I'd say.

Then remix all you want...sync it up in post...most live mixed sound weird anyway since the eq is set to sound good in a room...but if there is no room...I typically run a nice field recorder of the room...and add it to the live mix...

Hi. Do you record audio on GarageBand and video separately and then sync them together on IMovie ? I have this Mic app which I record the audio on. But I want to do a cover with a guitar and want the fx that I use on the mic app. How do I do that :(

Hi. Do you record audio on GarageBand and video separately and then sync them together on IMovie ? I have this Mic app which I record the audio on. But I want to do a cover with a guitar and want the fx that I use on the mic app. How do I do that :(

<Never mind - I completely misunderstood the context of the original post>

Hi! Sounds to me as if you could simply record your audio into GarageBand as you would any other song, record the video with your camera/phone as you would any other video, and then just sync them up in iMovie? I'm afraid I didn't quite catch the whole "Mic app" thing.... Are you referring to a plugin in GarageBand, or a smartphone app?

Here's a handy video I found on how to sync audio and video in iMovie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gVL-pMv1FM

Back