Should I worry about a YouTube dispute?

garryknight

Recently I used VisualJockey and Sonic Candle to make a video for one of my tracks and I then uploaded it to YouTube. Shortly afterwards I received an email from YouTube saying that the video "may have content that is owned or licensed by PRS CS", which I assume is the Performing Rights Society here in the UK.

The audio consists of music composed by me using the A.N.A synth with patches programmed by me, drums made with sound samples that are either part of Ableton Live 9 Suite sound packs or royalty-free samples I've downloaded or bought on DVDs, and a couple of royalty-free sound effects from the same sources.

The T&Cs of VisualJockey and Sonic Candle both state that I retain copyright in anything I create with them. The video also uses a background image created from a photo that NASA made available for public use fairly recently.

I assume that anything uploaded to YouTube is scanned using some Google-created algorithm to match against previous recordings, pretty much in the way that Shazam, SoundHound, and Google's own "What's this song?" app. So I'm also assuming that the PRS claim is in respect of the audio, not the video.

As far as I can tell, I own copyright in the entire piece of work, and certainly in the audio track, so I filled out a dispute form. On submitting it, I was told that resolution might take until February 22nd. When I look at the video on my Dashboard, I see the text "Acknowledged third party content". I'm not sure how or why YouTube thinks that "disputed" is the same as "acknowledged".

So, my question is, do I need to worry about demands for royalties or being handed a take-down notice? I'm not looking for legal advice, but does anyone here have any experience with this subject?

As I understand it you won't ever be approached to pay royalties, but they may choose to remove your video or place adverts on it to generate revenue, if they decide there is 3rd party content.
If the owner chooses to have your video removed you get a copyright strike. (assuming there is an owner other than yourself)

I don't know why your video says "content acknowledged" but if you click that text in your video manager it should take you to a page with more details about the claim and should also say
"If you think this is an invalid claim, you can file a dispute." with a link to do so.

If you see a button that says "OK, got it." and it's grayed out, then you accidentally acknowledged that you have used someone else's content.

From time to time I've received a copyright notice. In most cases it is because I've used material in videos that has been sourced itself from youtube, or a video features a copyrighted song. In these cases I acknowledge the third party content, no worries.

However, in a couple of cases, the material (video and audio) is most definitely mine and not someone else's, and I've contested it, and it has been settled in my favour. There is a wait for the process to take place.

Like Steen, I'm not sure why would see "content acknowledged".

I've gotten the notices too.... for my own music!!! :eek: That's like a big facepalm :facepalm: for YouTube.

Looks like you did everything correctly with YouTube and you have no need to worry about repercussions.

I don't know why your video says "content acknowledged" but if you click that text in your video manager it should take you to a page with more details about the claim and should also say
"If you think this is an invalid claim, you can file a dispute." with a link to do so.

Thanks. I did that as soon as I got the email. The link now just goes to some text that says "Your dispute awaiting response by 21/02/2015 ".

It also has this: "To watch the matched content please play the video on the right. The video will play from the point where the matched content was identified." But the point from which the video plays consists of two overlaid A.N.A. preset synth patches, both altered by me, overlaid on another bass synth patch that I constructed from scratch. So, I'm not particularly worried about the claim as I've still got the synth and the patches and can prove how the audio was constructed.

It's got me thinking, though. Maybe if I use A.N.A.'s randomise function along with Ableton Live's Random MIDI effect, and if I persevere long enough, maybe I can get a takedown notice related to Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody... :listeningmusic:

I had a section of a live noise jam tagged as coming from some meditation CD once. Your thread actually reminded me to go through and dispute all of the videos I have that were marked as questionable. I maybe should take it more seriously, but I have fun with it, writing things like "I can't imagine why anybody else would claim responsibility for this. Have you heard it?" Or (perhaps my favorite) "The credits are in the darn video!"

Back