?s

acidrock

GO PACKERS!
I just noticed this forum and I've got a few questions.

How do you go about syncing up video/audio?I've noticed quite a few Youtube videos with the synced up multiple takes and I'm interested in knowing if you can do this on a budget.I'm not interested in making a pro video,just fooling around.I'm assuming you need some kind of embedded time code and digital sync?

Helps if you record at 48k (if audio drifting over time is your problem)
Final audio target is 16bit/48khz
If you record at 44.1khz it will drift as the ntsc frames get dropped every so often.

Otherwise it's just a matter of editing.
Split the video up and move it around. Doing it several times and moving the camera so you can do jump cuts helps.

You don't say what you're using to edit the video.
I personally use Vegas Studio for personal and commercial editing, which is only $50, easy to use and works great.

You've been here since forever and you JUST NOTICED???

... anyway...

As long as you have two audio tracks... say one captured by the camcorder, and one captured by a boom mic or en studio... PluralEyes will overlay the shitty audio track with the good audio track.

If the converters are sufficiently accurate (which most are) you can use a video editor to replace in-camera audio with audio from another source and they'll stay in sync for a good long time. If you know the audio is for video then record at 48kHz since that's the standard for film/video and it will save you the trouble of converting sample rates.

(I'm pretty sure 44.1Khz audio will sync just as well since 1 second = 1 second regardless of the sample rate, but it's not the standard for film/video.)

I've been using Sony Vegas 6 for audio recording/mixing and video editing since it came out eight years ago, and Vegas Video 3 and Video Factory that preceded it.

I must not have been clear enough in my initial question.:o:o

I can add tracks/manipulate the audio with ease,all I have to do is import it into my recording software(SONAR) and it handles the rest.

What I want to do is sync multiple video tracks or layer them.I want to record myself playing guitar,then leads,backup vocals and put them into a split screen or at least go back and forth between tracks.

At present I'm using a crappy camera and I've been thinking about getting one of those Zoom csameras.I'm will to spend a little money but I'm not going to buy a pro camera or software as this is just for fun.

Then again, look at Sony Vegas Studio.
It's perfect for doing what you want and inexpensive.

(are you wanting something to do it automatically? -- that won't happen. You need to learn to do simple video editing and Vegas is perfect for it.)

Then again, look at Sony Vegas Studio.
It's perfect for doing what you want and inexpensive.

(are you wanting something to do it automatically? -- that won't happen. You need to learn to do simple video editing and Vegas is perfect for it.)

I spent a good part of yesterday investigating this and everything seems to be pointing in that direction.The other video editors seem to get much worse reviews.AT this point the question is,what version?

I probably wouldn't buy it right away,knowing what I need I can just lay in the weeds until the right deal comes along.

I'm still looking at the Zoom Q3,because it has a line in and the built in mics are supposed to be good.At present I use an el'cheapo Flip.The video is good enough for the internet,but the sound quality lacks.

I was just wondering if you could sync a camera's controls up with a computer,much like a control surface or keyboard for audio.Is what you're saying is that I'll have to just jam along with a track and just line up the video manually?That's not thsat big of a deal,but I thought by now things would be simpler.

You don't even need a proper camera these days. Something like the Sony Xperia cellphone, or an iPhone 5, will record in 1080p HD. Just take the video and slam it into Vegas as has been suggested, lots of angles, lots of edits, line it up with the audio you've already recorded and voila... video produced.. just takes lots of time getting the cuts right and the alignment right to look like the audio is synced... but then again, so many videos you see out there don't even have perfect sync with the mouth movements or instrument playing... it's all an illusion!

This is something I put together for one of my own songs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXl_UC4EflQ

David

Last edited:
You don't even need a proper camera these days. Something like the Sony Xperia cellphone, or an iPhone 5, will record in 1080p HD. Just take the video and slam it into Vegas as has been suggested, lots of angles, lots of edits, line it up with the audio you've already recorded and voila... video produced.. just takes lots of time getting the cuts right and the alignment right to look like the audio is synced... but then again, so many videos you see out there don't even have perfect sync with the mouth movements or instrument playing... it's all an illusion!

This is something I put together for one of my own songs...

Collusion - We Have No Time - YouTube

David
Very cool:thumbs up:,that's a lot further than I plan on going,but I probably thought that when I got my first four track tape deck.:rolleyes:

I've been doing some pretty crude live videos,just with a $99 flip camera which has horrible sound and I'm only trying to get a video of me accompanying myself but I'm going to start using my recording stuff for audio too.

If you are on Win7, get this one... Platinum 12.
By the way, this also lets you use all your audio vst's...

To tell you how good it is, I put Windows on my iMac to run it and stay compatible with my older projects.

I ended up buying that because it seemed to be a pretty good price.I went through it briefly and it looks like every thing I need and more.If I get some time and motivation I may actually put it to use.Thanks for the suggestion.

Back