Recording Video - acoustic guitar, voice tracks

conamor

Hi everyone,

How do people proceed to record themself on video then publish it to youtube but with the song they create. (acoustic guitar/vocals).

Do they record them self while singing and playing guitar, then take take away the audio from the video, then put over the video their exported track from the DAW?

What software could be used to do that?

Thanks!

That's basically what I do. Record w/ video camera and DAW at the same time. Splice in bits of audio from camera if you're talking on it.I would suggest getting a good mic for your camera if possible. Audio quality is more important than video quality.
I use ProTools 10 for my DAW and Premiere Pro for video. Place exported audio in Video editor of choice.
It requires some work and patience but if it had an easy button it wouldn't be fun in my opinion. The more you do these videos the easier it gets.
Here's one I did recently. youtube com/watch?v=HgaQJ1hnnCg

Depends if you are trying to go with music video style or live recording style. Would advise that you not use the camera mic audio and record audio seperatly and match it up

I only recorded myself twice covering songs from home.

For this one i used the sound from the camera
youtube.com/watch?v=68b-go7w4ao

For the second one i used a Behringer C-1, a mixer and cool edit pro to add a little bit of compression.
youtube.com/watch?v=aqwqfhjeziE

I then used Ulead to synchronize video and audio.

Not sure if it helps but that's how i made these two.

When I do my videos, I do all the recording stuff first. Then I record the video and play the (finished) track out loud so that the camera can hear it. When I edit, I take the audio from the camera out and replace it with the finished track. You have to work with the timing to make sure the music and video line up though. I manually sync all of the clips. I use Final Cut X and choose the option to "detach audio" from the track and just insert the final track over it.

When I do my videos, I do all the recording stuff first. Then I record the video and play the (finished) track out loud so that the camera can hear it. When I edit, I take the audio from the camera out and replace it with the finished track. You have to work with the timing to make sure the music and video line up though. I manually sync all of the clips. I use Final Cut X and choose the option to "detach audio" from the track and just insert the final track over it.

Yep, that's exactly how I do it.

Just pretend to sing/play along with the track while filming. There's no real need to even record the audio, although that may be helpful when trying to align things later in the video editing software. Slam it into something like Lightworks (it's free, but steep learning curve) Vegas or Premier if you want to go upmarket, then edit it and align/sync everything up.... Lots of shots from different angles gives you lots of options in the editing. Export in whatever format recommended by YouTube and upload... Just takes lots of time in the editing...

David

Last edited by a moderator:
Back