Recording Audio & Video

loveofjazz

Sheep Defiler
I need some help.

I need to record two or three audio tracks of a solo live performance as well as two or three video feeds for different views. I have never recorded any video before, but I have to do this so I can get some media ready for booking purposes. As far as audio recording is concerned, I have been using Reaper for a few years on my laptop and PC and have found it to work great for me. I’ve also used Auria a couple of times on my iPad. It’s easy enough to use, but I haven’t completed a project with it yet.

I have been looking in to Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 11. It appears to be easy on the wallet, the reviews are mostly positive, and I’ve had a couple of friends suggest it.

So…I have a few questions…

Is it possible to get two or three audio tracks as well as two or three video feeds of a live performance recorded on my home gear?

Can I do this with my laptop? Or will I need to record video on the laptop and audio on the iPad, then sync them afterward?

If anyone can offer any useful information, it would be greatly appreciated. I’m in unfamiliar territory here.
Much thanks,
-jimbo

I personally had a copy of SVMSHDP 11 (what a mouthful!). It comes bundled with a copy of Sony Sound Forge which was... like... SCORE! The package should work nicely for you though admittedly I didn't try what you are going to try and obviously it has it's constraints.

For the video editing, I'd suggest Lightworks cos it's free and has a huge feature list, but it's a lot of work to learn. Although if you were looking into Vegas, then you'd be on the same learning curve.

IMHO, best to record the audio separately using something with a bit of input quality with decent mics etc. For the video, you don't even need good quality cameras. These days, cellphones like the Sony Xperia or the iPhone 5 (not earlier) can record at 1080p HD. Beg, borrow or "steal" a couple of friends' phones/cameras and slam the video and audio into the editing software, line it all up so it's synchronised and bingo, video created. Just try to get a bit creative with the edits and shot selection to make it interesting.

HTH
David

Last edited by a moderator:
pretty much what frog SAYS.

However, if you have been using Reaper, then Vegas should serve you well, because it operates in a very similar way.

Back