My first video

StoneJack

Inspired by kind comments of other members, I am putting my first video for your judgment.

I live and work in Asia, so this is not English speaking video. And this is my first attempt either, so please be patient with my effort.

The song is about spring, someone waiting for spring to come after long winter.

The band's name is Ray of Light, song is Spring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xbBdw-Ueyo

I did the scenario, editing, some directing. Shooting was done by another person. Software was iMovie. Audio was recorded at a studio. I did black and white because I was inspired by my most favourite music video, Police, Every breath you take (black and white).
Thanks!

The song sounds well done. If the video goes along with the words, I can pretty much guess what the song is about. :) The video seems well done, also. I appreciate the black and white, too, but possibly at some point the "spring" should turn the scene into color?

BroKen,
you are a treasure of ideas, aren't you??
Damn good suggestion! Yes, you are right as usual :guitar:
That was the original idea, to put the origami in color. Unfortunately, was left out because of time constraints.
In the next project, there wll be color over black and white, a "magic rainbow" :)
Thanks a lot!!

Well done, it's good for your first music video!

My biggest complaint however would be the constant use of fade to black in between shots. There's a general rule about transitions within the editing circle - they're a cop out. If you cant simply cut from the one shot to the next, and have it make sense (aka just feel right), then its a bad cut. I was enjoying the video but the fades really were a strain and ended up distracting me from the video. You are not supposed to be aware of the editor's presence while watching a finished video.

I look forwards to seeing another project from you :)

Thanks!
You know, I redid part of the video without the black fade and other transitions, it definitely improves!
Thats's what pros are for, really, thanks for great advice!
I never knew that transitions really could be that distracting.
Any other comments also welcome!

Last edited:
I was going to point the transitions too, but TheAquired has already done that.

I think you can use them when there's a fade out in the audio too, like at 1:50.

I liked it, but I had to force myself to imagine the transitions weren't there :)

I was going to point the transitions too, but TheAquired has already done that.

I think you can use them when there's a fade out in the audio too, like at 1:50.

I liked it, but I had to force myself to imagine the transitions weren't there :)

Yes, sorry for transitions! I thought at that time its gonna be good, but you are right, its much better without it! A very valuable lesson. Thanks for comments!

Back