My first vid ,. Heavens door (knockin on)

dyermaker8

My friend and his dad, No tripod handy,. but worked out ok. Tracked live,.still trying to figure out the best way to mic up in this scenario, Since this one I've scored a second camera and a production assistant who brings another nice cam and a lighting rig to the game. Can't wait to do more,. Good times.

Last edited:
Video is cool, has that guerrilla marketing vibe. Sure it is a marketable service. youtube is HUGE and everyone wants to be a star. Yes!! You too can have your 15 minutes of fame!

Pretty much what I was thinking getting into this in the first place,. with the added bonus of doing something I enjoy and possible finding people with talent who might otherwise go unnoticed,.

I'm going to be a naysayer, but with good intent. A video like this wouldn't sell and if I was an artist, I wouldn't want my name on it. The song is boring and the one angle shot is boring. Nice effect with the 2nd shot on the back wall, but that gets old after 5 seconds. This is where videos get difficult; you've got to keep the viewer engaged.

Knocking on Heavens Door is an old tired song that drones on and everybody knows the words and the chords, which repeat often. They know there won't be any surprises or change ups. It'll just keep going with the same three chords and the same basic lyrics until the end. Then to have this song coupled to a video with one shot is a death nail.

If you're going to have a song like Knockin, then you have to have a video that sucks the viewer in and keeps them there until the song is over. You need a story!!! It doesn't have to be locked into the song, and probably in this case, it shouldn't be. But it has to be there: Beginning, middle, end. To me, that is the most difficult part of making a music video. You could use special effects and different angles, live shots, mixed in B-rolls, but storyline is king with video.

Not to toot my horn, because I think I'm a hack, but this is kind of what I'm talking about.

https://youtu.be/m49ILrX57J8

Hope you don't take it the wrong. I thought of offering similar services because it is fun as hell.

no,. thats cool. I get it. In the long run I think the customer gets to make the decision on what material they want to commit and how "artistic" it should be. As the "producer" I'm also totally comfortable pushing them in one direction or another. This is an example of one market I will defiantly be gunning for though. Father & Son, never recorded, let alone video. Nice for them as a sort of hybrid music/home video to share with friends and family,. and as a memory. Also they'll get a decent demo (4 songs, no video) out of it as well. Thats the kind of package deal i'm wanting to offer.

The background shots were with my cell phone,. and this was my first go at using sony vegas,. Next gig is with a metal band this weekend(if they can get their shit together). It will be shot with 2 static hd cams and 1 handheld,. more lighting ,. and will give a go at incorporating some metalish stock footage. I feel like its important to be flexable with the end product being offered. Also the whole time is money thing when it comes to more editing. I'm really way more interested in the music side, but the video seems to be the Jelly to its PB. You make some very valid points though. Fun video you posted there,. I can see that being a very popular and relativly easy to produce option as well, especially with the more conservative crowd. Kids are always a hit.

Doing this as a commercial service changes a couple things. Keep in mind, covered songs require licensing. It is essentially the same model as a wedding video with a live performance. I don't do weddings as part of my production business so I don't know the details to licensing covers. But I do know, with content ID, the days of just ignoring that issue are over.

Doing this as a commercial service changes a couple things. Keep in mind, covered songs require licensing. It is essentially the same model as a wedding video with a live performance. I don't do weddings as part of my production business so I don't know the details to licensing covers. But I do know, with content ID, the days of just ignoring that issue are over.

You're a damn guru zek,. I'm going to have to start sending you checks if this keeps up.

The thought had crossed my mind that I might only offer these services for original and non-protected works,. Which is what I would prefer. I was already thinking about offering things like ascap/pandora/spotify registration for the audio in those scanarios. But I can see that being a buzzkill for the kids with youtube/idol stardom in there eyes that don't have the whole songwriting thing down. Seems weird that the producer would be on the table for these licensing fees but I guess it makes sense. There are SO MANY covers on youtube, I'm having problems wrapping my head around where the line is drawn. time to hit the books/hire a lawyer,.lol.

No, the "producer" wouldn't be involved in any licensing for the artist. They should take care of that themselves. You can go as far as requiring it before turning over the finished product. If you were a record company and assigned as an A&R rep or something, that might be different.

No, the "producer" wouldn't be involved in any licensing for the artist. They should take care of that themselves. You can go as far as requiring it before turning over the finished product. If you were a record company and assigned as an A&R rep or something, that might be different.

This stuff is getting deep real quick. My original concept was the artist video's would live on my youtube channel,. while they can certainly link to it and promote the video in what everway they choose. But buy living on my channel it would help to promote not only my service, but also the other artist on my "label". Now i'm wondering,. would I monatize those videos if they get popular? Would I pay out to the artist, or is that part of the artist payment to the label (personally I think it would totally depend on the amount of money being talked about, draw a line somewhere).

Then theres the whole possibility of getting my youtube account suspended if enough of the cover videos aren't kosher with the rights owners,. so maybe in that case handing the video to the client for personal upload to the artist youtube account would be better. Of course I'd thought of offering artist web presence services as well (where I would create/maintain their webpresence). Isn't that what a good Independant label woud do? I'd like to offer all these services,. just on a small scale,.

The video rights are whats tripping me up,. i'm gonna study up on youtubes fineprint later. At the moment I'm wondering if it was a bad idea to even put my business name on the first video,.lol.

yeah, that's why I hate doing covers. A license to use a song in a video/film/tv is called a sync license. For YouTube, you may or may not need one. The funny thing with youtube is they're getting better at catching cover songs. In fact, they go so far as to flag original songs as a cover song. The video I posted earlier got flagged because it matched a song on CDBaby.... my song!!!

right,. but apparently you can also make income off your covers on youtube as well,. as long as the rights holder approves by claiming the copyright on youtube and agreeing to let you continue,. at that point all parties get a cut of the ad revenue. __and sync licenses aren't being obtained here either,. (it would be pointless anyway, as the potential income would seldom if ever match the licensing fees) In your case Chili,. if you have your song registered and can provide copy of sheet or other proof,. you could have disputed the claim,. and once settled,. monitized your you tube video with ads,. ($2-3 per 1000 views on average,I think)

But details on this process are hiding in the shadows,. and you wont find a list of which songs or labels are playing nice anywhere either At least I havn't). My very basic understanding is something like this,. your like a band playing covers in a bar/venue thats setup with ascap, but only for some songs, and nobody has a list,. depending on which songs you choose, you either get paid or sued. bartender says your best bet is to come check out what songs other bands there are playing cause they havn't got sued YET,.Lol,. crazy.

I enjoyed the rendition of the song. Unfortunately, I don't feel like you should be looking to turn this into a marketable service. I mean, if you convince a band to pay for you to do this, go for it. But I don't think you will really be able to get a lot of bands out there to come use this setup of yours. I don't like to be a naysayer, and so I hope it doesn't come across that way. Are you interested in music video production? because if you have a passion for making videos, then by all means practice, become proficient at getting a good result and then market it as a service.

I enjoyed the rendition of the song. Unfortunately, I don't feel like you should be looking to turn this into a marketable service. I mean, if you convince a band to pay for you to do this, go for it. But I don't think you will really be able to get a lot of bands out there to come use this setup of yours. I don't like to be a naysayer, and so I hope it doesn't come across that way. Are you interested in music video production? because if you have a passion for making videos, then by all means practice, become proficient at getting a good result and then market it as a service.

Yes. I will. I'm glad you enjoyed my friends rendition of that song. :)

Back