My first attempt at a video. Don't laugh.

Just finished watching again. I saw some spots where it is out of sync, but most of the video was sync'd up good.

Yeah, just a couple of places where the 'singer guy''s lips are just a little out, but that's always the toughest thing to get right with most home video software. Good job.

Thanx guys. If anyone of you gets a chance to check it out in the next few days, can you just tell me if you find the picture ahead of the sound, or the other way around?

No rush, but if you get a chance, I wouldn't mind trying to fix the Youtube version, because the version I have at home is synced almost perfectly, but I'm the only one that gets to see that.

There is a section where the audio is out of sync. The audio leads the video by 100 ms or so. The beginning is fine though. Easiest to see around 1:50 in , but starts before then. Why can't you upload the original to youtube?

There is a section where the audio is out of sync. The audio leads the video by 100 ms or so. The beginning is fine though. Easiest to see around 1:50 in , but starts before then. Why can't you upload the original to youtube?

Thanx a lot. I'll try to fix it.

I did upload the original to Youtube. That's waht you're watching. For some reason, it gets encoded out of sync once it's uploaded. I'll have to try and compensate by pushing the picture forward slightly.

Thanx for the help.

If you can upload it somewhere so I can pull it down and get a better look at it, and run it through Premier to see it better. The higher quality the better, if you can. I have a couple of hours I can spend in it today/tomorrow.

If you can upload it somewhere so I can pull it down and get a better look at it, and run it through Premier to see it better. The higher quality the better, if you can. I have a couple of hours I can spend in it today/tomorrow.
Shit man, I just saw this now. I really appreciate the offer. I have no idea where to upload something like this. Even on my own website, it gave me the option to put up a Youtube link, but not to upload the video itself. I'll try pushing the picture forward a bit and see if it turns out better. Thanx a lot. :cool:

Shit man, I just saw this now. I really appreciate the offer. I have no idea where to upload something like this. Even on my own website, it gave me the option to put up a Youtube link, but not to upload the video itself. I'll try pushing the picture forward a bit and see if it turns out better. Thanx a lot. :cool:

Dropbox or some similar file sharing site will do the trick.

Try Copy. It has a built in vid player. Who knows?

Wetransfer.com is an awesome site for sending larger files to other people. Seriously, you won't be disappointed :)

cool!!

Lemme say that I know NOTHING 'bout video other than how to open my eyes and look at it.
But I pretty much liked this ...... the music was great as expected. You're one of the guys here that I know any music from you will be recorded and played excellently.

The only thing I was iffy about was the clips of the yellow guitar playing with the out of focus edges and the pulsing of the image ..... didn't care for that but everything else was fun and nice to watch.

I haven't read the thread so prolly everything I just said is exposed as idiocy but that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

cool!!

Lemme say that I know NOTHING 'bout video other than how to open my eyes and look at it.
But I pretty much liked this ...... the music was great as expected. You're one of the guys here that I know any music from you will be recorded and played excellently.

The only thing I was iffy about was the clips of the yellow guitar playing with the out of focus edges and the pulsing of the image ..... didn't care for that but everything else was fun and nice to watch.

I haven't read the thread so prolly everything I just said is exposed as idiocy but that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Thanx man. Don't worry, I know nothing either. I shot this with a less than $200 camera that fits in my palm, and some very basic editing software.

Love the song! The video is fun, I wouldn't nit pick it cause I know its mostly just about the fun of it. But the great thing was you managed to avoid quite a few mistakes newbie editors make which is awesome! Seriously, I have guys in film school with me who have less of a natural feel for editing :facepalm:

One thing that perhaps you could benefit from for your next video is to be aware of pacing of your cuts. The general rule is the rhythm of a piece is based on primarily the action within a cut, and secondly the actual point of the cut itself. However either using just the point of the cut to try create rhythm can bog down the feeling of the video. As music is generally on one tempo, after a while you will be able to predict a cut timing as it should land on a beat. If you rather play with both cut timings and actual action taking place on screen to control your rhythm, your videos will benefit from a more fluid feeling.

One thing that perhaps you could benefit from for your next video is to be aware of pacing of your cuts. The general rule is the rhythm of a piece is based on primarily the action within a cut, and secondly the actual point of the cut itself. However either using just the point of the cut to try create rhythm can bog down the feeling of the video. As music is generally on one tempo, after a while you will be able to predict a cut timing as it should land on a beat. If you rather play with both cut timings and actual action taking place on screen to control your rhythm, your videos will benefit from a more fluid feeling.
Hey man, I really appreciate that advice. Yeah, I tried to not fall into the trap of changing scenes every 4 beats or whatever. I tried to make some things match up with the music (like punching the bag right when a snare hits, for example), but I also tried to make most changes sort of random, or at least not predictable. I'm reading a few tutorials here and there but like anything else, I have to filter through the crap and the good advice. Some of the best advice I got was from people like you that just make great comments on video. Thanx a lot. :cool:

As music is generally on one tempo, after a while you will be able to predict a cut timing as it should land on a beat. If you rather play with both cut timings and actual action taking place on screen to control your rhythm, your videos will benefit from a more fluid feeling.

That is a most interesting point, and I will have to explore that. My instinct was to have cuts land on beats, so that's what I would normally aim for, and only not doing so if the video need to have more (or less) time. In other words, vision was subservient to audio. But now I shall try putting more emphasis on vision and see what happens.

That is a most interesting point, and I will have to explore that. My instinct was to have cuts land on beats, so that's what I would normally aim for, and only not doing so if the video need to have more (or less) time. In other words, vision was subservient to audio. But now I shall try putting more emphasis on vision and see what happens.

I'd be very interested in seeing the results of you experimenting with this idea :) It's actually funny how a cut doesnt need to fall on a beat, it draws less attention to itself and as long as the action on screen is timed well, people will feel the video is on time.

^ what he said... If you can figure out how to upload the file somewhere, I would love to play with it (just moving the syncing around, nothing else nefarious). It is a lot easier (as someone mentioned earlier) when you have the tools...

Attachments

• IMG_1271 (2).jpg
    IMG_1271 (2).jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 27
Dude as others said you are a natural, especially if this really is your first vid. I remember going back and forth with you a year or so ago about vegas and wondering when you were going to take the plunge. This is awesome :-)

Back