More grunt needed?

Armistice

Son of Yoda
Hi

Using Sony Vegas Platinum 10 to attempt music vids - finding that the preview feature is stuttering as my PC is obviously not coping with everything that's going on.

Now I can dial down the preview resolution and get it happening again, but I'd kinda like to not have to do that.

I'm not doing anything particularly funky with the assembling of bits and pieces into a video.

PS is Intel i3 M350 @ 2.27 GHz with 4G RAM. Windows 7.

I assume I can feed it more RAM easily enough - is it RAM that's the issue here, do you think, or is it processor speed, which I can really only fix with a new PC?

As it's a general purpose PC, I don't want to strip back the operating system frippery too much to try to speed it up (although I can if there's a significant gain to be had), but I'm not engaged in anything else much whilst I'm in Vegas either, so it's not being distracted by anything other than core Windows stuff going on in the background.

Your thoughts appreciated. Thanks people...

... and sometimes no answer is answer enough..

Found some tute vids about this issue and I'll have a play with various Vegas settings and see if that works.

Anyone has any other suggestions, let me know. The PC appears to have more than the specs required by the program (2GHz and @ GB RAM) so in theory it should be able to handle it.

Cheers

Really depends on what video format you're editing. AVCHD is extemely cpu intensive as it has to pull data from 4 or 5 frames at once and resolve the differences.

One trick is to not use effects until you are ready to render your video. Just deal with raw footage on the timeline, getting the sync adjusted and the transistions the way you want... then add in the effects when you're ready to render.

Another thing to try is a new video card. Vegas can utilize Cuda programming where some of the decoding takes place on the video card freeing up cpu time. Research more about it and which card you should purchase. I recently got an Nvidia GeForce GT430 and it helps. It isn't the latest and doesn't have as many processing slots, but it does make an improvement.

I have a Core 2 Duo cpu with 8 gigs and I'm okay with the way it processes AVCHD.

HTH

Really depends on what video format you're editing. AVCHD is extemely cpu intensive as it has to pull data from 4 or 5 frames at once and resolve the differences.

One trick is to not use effects until you are ready to render your video. Just deal with raw footage on the timeline, getting the sync adjusted and the transistions the way you want... then add in the effects when you're ready to render.

Another thing to try is a new video card. Vegas can utilize Cuda programming where some of the decoding takes place on the video card freeing up cpu time. Research more about it and which card you should purchase. I recently got an Nvidia GeForce GT430 and it helps. It isn't the latest and doesn't have as many processing slots, but it does make an improvement.

I have a Core 2 Duo cpu with 8 gigs and I'm okay with the way it processes AVCHD.

HTH

Good ponits, thanks Chili... Note even sure what format I'm dealing with... whatever the (Sony) camera is shooting!

I'm such a newb... :D

Fark me, this is intense.... worse than bloody mixing...

I've spent about four hours on this thing and I've only reached the halfway point of a 4:30 song...

Enough for one night. Adios....

Fark me, this is intense.... worse than bloody mixing...

I've spent about four hours on this thing and I've only reached the halfway point of a 4:30 song...

Enough for one night. Adios....

I recently had the same problem and a new video card solved it for me. It's detailed in a thread in this forum.

I'm sort of working round the problem at the moment by using Shift B on small sections, which seems to be a little mini-render thing..

I'm thinking somewhere in the not too distant future I need to get an up-spec PC for this and recording anyway, so I'm living with it at the moment...

I just finished on with Windows Movie maker & it froze every couple of minutes if I tried to play the thing. Froze the who comp & I'd have to reboot as well as save every 2 mins. In the end I did the transitions etc without watching them & the same with titles etc. I wonder if a new card would solve my probs?
It can't be RAM as I an running XP with 2 gig.

I think better video cards use their own ram. I'm not a video guy though, so I'm probably quite useless here.:o

Back