Make a professional music video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isbaSvzyfNk

Soireg

Hello,

I'm new and this is my first post, i'm violinist and i want to make a video of a composition for my school ,but i want my video looks like this : in the post title

What software to use to synchronize the picture and sound and have effects as well? I work with Cubase 6 LE, are there any plugins to customize the video in this software?

Cordially, Soireg

Most all video editors can sync video and audio. Sony Vegas gets a lot of love here and rightfully so; it is cheap, easy to use and full of features.

As for teh feel of the video, I didn't see anything outstanding. A couple of different angles, black and white. The graphics in the beginning could have been Adobe After Effects or other motion graphics creator. He might even have used something basic to create it. Don't know.

You need to have your song recorded already then shoot the video. You can't use Cubase for video editing. It's video capability is for aligning audio to video, not video editing. In this case, I wouldn't use Cubase at all except for recording and mixing the song.

HTH

Personally I use Sony Movie Studio Platinum Suite.

The latest version of the app comes with
  • Movie Studio Platinum 12
  • DVD Architect Studio 5
  • Sound Forge Audio Studio 10
  • 50 Sony Sound Series: Production Music soundtracks
  • Red Giant Magic Bullet Quick Looks
  • NewBlueFX 3D Titling and Video Effects
There is no need to sync video with audio in the video you referenced as there were no vocals. In the event that you do need to sync vocals to video there is the PluralEyes application, or you can eyeball it.

Given the shallow depth of field (bokeh) the video was probably filmed with a dSLR or Mirrorless camera.

Last edited:
Sony Vegas / movie studio packages are all GREAT for the money.
Adobe Premiere is great too and very powerful but you better have the processor/ram to match.

If, by effects, you mean the opening title, you will not be able to that in any stock video editor, whether it is Premiere (I use Premiere Pro CS4), Vegas, Avid or something else. There are some third-party plug-ins for these packages that might do it. I've got an older stand-alone product called Particle Illusion that could produce something similar to the "sparkling dust" effect, and a couple of other programs that could the 3D title modeling. However, whatever you use to produce the effect, it will involve fairly extensive compositing, either within a program like After Effects or, if you're really masochistic, within the video editing program itself.

You may be able to pull off the lower-thirds title, but if you want it to look like the one in the video, you'll also need decent photoediting software, e.g. Photoshop.

Syncing audio to video is easy. Just shoot different masters for each POV shot, place each one on a different video track and then cut out whatever you don't want. It's also relatively easy to line up pick-ups with the corresponding audio -- you can do it by eye, through trial and error, or you can look at the audio waveform and pick out a beat that corresponds with a clear video cue, e.g. the downbeat of a note played on the bass, and then line them up in the editor.

With that said, I can guarantee you're not going to turn out a "professional video" for a few reasons:

1. As should be apparent from reading this website, producing a professional-sounding audio track is far from easy, and requires far more than just setting up a microphone and recording audio into a computer.

2. Producing professional-level video is similarly very complex. Anyone can dump video into a computer, import it into an editor and cut it together. However, to look professional, you need to match lighting, gamma, color (though this video was b&w) from shot to shot. You need to know how to cut to music. You need to understand focal lengths, depth of field (see below), video codecs and a variety of other video-specific concepts.

3. You will not be able to use a consumer camcorder to produce a video that looks like the one in your link. It displays considerable depth of field, which can only be achieved using either a DLSR that can do video, a DOF simulator that goes over the lens of the camcorder, or a semi-pro to professional grade camera.

Honestly, saying, "I'm studying violin and want to make a professional video of a project," is no different than saying, "I'm studying violin and I want to produce a professional recording of a project." Professionals have both the knowledge, experience and equipment that lets their work look professional.

I've been an amateur videographer, as well as an amateur at audio recording, for decades and have invested many thousands and thousands of dollars in software and equipment to do both. I've spent years and years learning how to use that software and equipment. If you see my videos, or hear my music, you may say, "Not bad . . . for an amateur." However, no one will ever mistake what I do for professional work.

I'm sorry if I sound discouraging, but you really need to adjust your expectations.

If, by effects, you mean the opening title, you will not be able to that in any stock video editor, whether it is Premiere (I use Premiere Pro CS4), Vegas, Avid or something else. There are some third-party plug-ins for these packages that might do it. I've got an older stand-alone product called Particle Illusion that could produce something similar to the "sparkling dust" effect, and a couple of other programs that could the 3D title modeling. However, whatever you use to produce the effect, it will involve fairly extensive compositing, either within a program like After Effects or, if you're really masochistic, within the video editing program itself.

You may be able to pull off the lower-thirds title, but if you want it to look like the one in the video, you'll also need decent photoediting software, e.g. Photoshop.

Syncing audio to video is easy. Just shoot different masters for each POV shot, place each one on a different video track and then cut out whatever you don't want. It's also relatively easy to line up pick-ups with the corresponding audio -- you can do it by eye, through trial and error, or you can look at the audio waveform and pick out a beat that corresponds with a clear video cue, e.g. the downbeat of a note played on the bass, and then line them up in the editor.

With that said, I can guarantee you're not going to turn out a "professional video" for a few reasons:

1. As should be apparent from reading this website, producing a professional-sounding audio track is far from easy, and requires far more than just setting up a microphone and recording audio into a computer.

2. Producing professional-level video is similarly very complex. Anyone can dump video into a computer, import it into an editor and cut it together. However, to look professional, you need to match lighting, gamma, color (though this video was b&w) from shot to shot. You need to know how to cut to music. You need to understand focal lengths, depth of field (see below), video codecs and a variety of other video-specific concepts.

3. You will not be able to use a consumer camcorder to produce a video that looks like the one in your link. It displays considerable depth of field, which can only be achieved using either a DLSR that can do video, a DOF simulator that goes over the lens of the camcorder, or a semi-pro to professional grade camera.

Honestly, saying, "I'm studying violin and want to make a professional video of a project," is no different than saying, "I'm studying violin and I want to produce a professional recording of a project." Professionals have both the knowledge, experience and equipment that lets their work look professional.

I've been an amateur videographer, as well as an amateur at audio recording, for decades and have invested many thousands and thousands of dollars in software and equipment to do both. I've spent years and years learning how to use that software and equipment. If you see my videos, or hear my music, you may say, "Not bad . . . for an amateur." However, no one will ever mistake what I do for professional work.

I'm sorry if I sound discouraging, but you really need to adjust your expectations.

Gotta say, this is a great post. It confirms some things I've been saying in other video posts; just like in audio, get it good at the source if you want it to look good.

Unfortunately, this does the OP no good as he is a one-post wonder.

Back