Looking to get started with basic video of home-studio sessions

blackscot

Well I've been playing guitar for something like 40 years, and tooling around my home studio for about the last 10 or so. Finally figured it might be interesting to see what it all looks like, as well as what it sounds like.

I am a complete noob with anything video, so the most basic help is needed choosing a beginner camcorder. I also don't know how far this new direction will go, so I need to limit costs starting out.

One thing I can say -- at least starting out -- is that the needs are really simple. I don't need the visual quality to be anything beyond decent: as long as fingering techniques and similar details are not obscured should be adequate.

I also though would like for audio quality to be at least worth listening to. My sound suffers enough already from "operator error", so I need a camcorder that won't end up sounding like it is coming through a tin can.

Given the above, any basic recommendations on camcorder models to consider would be welcomed -- thanks.

... my suggestion would be to use 2 simple compact cams, which are able shoot videos (must not be very expensive), but you have then the opportunity to shoot two views, one of the strumming and one of the fretboard. for audio I would use an external mic and for the video editing you can use a standard like "movie-maker" (pc) or imovie (mac).

hope this helps
philipp

Thanks. While I probably won't start out with two cams, adding a second one later is something to consider.

Definitely a good point on the external mic though. I've got a couple of fairly good condensers that I've been happy recording with, although of course they require phantom power (currently supplied by my Mbox). If the cam doesn't provide that, I've also got a couple of dynamic mics laying around that would probably beat the cam's built-in.

Either way though, I wonder what kind of mic cable connection the cam would have, whether I would need an adaptor, etc.

Back