How to record video with pro audio?

creation25

I'm looking to achieve professional audio quality for my first youtube video. I want to record some live performance of me playing my Korg workstation keyboard, and so to use this as a comparison, I came across a youtube video I want to show you what I am after. I do not want to capture background noises. I'm using audio stereo out into an Saffire pro 14 interface but.... I'm afraid I cannot achieve this pro quality. I assume the interface must be a very high end to be able to capture this amazing audio? Or am I over thinking? I'm using Pro Tools 10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B5S2kOYbus

Last edited:
When I do music videos, I shoot the video on my camera and capture the audio separately on my daw.
Then you just merge the audio with the video in a video editor.

If you dont have a video editing software I highly recommend Sony Vegas Studio. It's less than $50, very easy to use and pro quality.

The Saffire is fine and shouldn't be an issue. Far more important is the positioning of the mic and the acoustics of your room.

Tim's suggestion of the two separate recordings is spot on. Make the syncing easier by imitating a clapper board at the start--anything from a single hand clap to slamming a book shut can work so long as you have a clear view of the "bash" to sync with the sound of it happening.

Thanks Tim. This worked.

I work with Pro Tools so I'm sticking with that.

Bobbsy, the recording will be straight from my keyboard into my interface, so no mic at the moment. I doubt the dude in the video uses a mic?
Makes me think he probably have a high end sound card or either the presets in the Korg just sounds very beautiful.

Thanks all.

Yup. Especially if you're taking the line out of your Korg, the interface will only have the most most minimal effect on the sound. The settings on the Korg (and the talent of the player obviously make a MUCH bigger difference).

As for a sync signal, even a single tap on a key (so long as your finger is in clear view) would do it if you don't have an open mic. Obviously you can sync things up without doing this--it's just a way to make it quicker and easier.

Back