Home video + audio recording setup question

cdesangles

Hello,

I need suggestions on how it would be best to connect / do everything. I use a GoPro to record video (saved on the SD card) while I play the piano and sing, and an audio interface recording the Piano and Mic (with Garageband). Afterwards I grab the two and mix them together with Premiere or any other video editing software.

Is there a way or a software where I can record both the audio and the video at the same time without having to edit it afterwards? How can I connect the GoPro to "Stream" the video to this software I don't know, and the program grab the audio from the Komplete?

People who do livestreams do this, have a set of cams with video and the audio from a console and it comes together as 1 product.

I have the following to make it all work:

1 Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6
1 Shure beta 87a mic + pop filter
1 Yamaha CLP 430 digital piano
1 GoPro Hero 3+ Black + usb 3.5mm mic adapter
1 MacBook Pro Retina 2015

Thanks!

Simply stated, you have to know how to sync the video to the audio track together. It's why a commercial movie crew uses the clapper-a sharp transient <SNAP!> right after you start shooting video. This puts a transient onto your audio tracks that you can match up with the video. Then add the audio track to the video timeline, match up the audio snap to the audio on the video snippet and render them together. That's how I've done it.

You can keep the audio from the camera or mute it. Make sure they stay matched in time through the entire video. or not, it's your choice. If you're not making any cuts, its easy.

The easiest way is probably what you're doing now... otherwise you need a video mixer (either software or hardware) and a computer to record that.

editing after the fact allows you to record higher quality video without much hassle.

Another option would be to buy a camera that can encode uncompressed audio and send an output to the camera... which I do fairly often... as it's only a problem if the camera needs to be on a steadycam or if the sound mixer is very far away.

as far as editing the two together... I assume you're aware of whatever 'align audio to source' tool your software uses. Premier I think makes you pay for it... called Pluraleyes.

Not sure if this helps you, but I think editing to some extent is always necessary. At the very least you need to render your video to make an output file and possibly cut it at the beginning and the end. Personally, I like Sony Movie Studio or Sony Vegas. Vegas is a video program that also is a full audio program. From starter programs like iMovie, Windows Movie Maker and Audacity, even the relatively cheap Sony Movie Studio is very fast and intuitive at ending video and audio into clips. Something you could also do is if you have a second HD camera you could record from that too and switch being cameras every so often in the video. Of course I think Sony Movie Studio is only a PC program and I think you said you had a Mac.

Back