Heavy Alternative Rock - South African band "Set For The Sky" Music Video

TheAquired

Hey guys :)

So I'm a film student, and I also love messing around with sound recording as a personal hobby. Therefore Music Videos are quite my thing. Please take a look at this track from a friend of mines band - I rate his recording of the song is pretty top notch. Both he and I would love to know what you think of the the recording, as well as the music video.

I am very aware the genre may not be for all of you :) but perhaps try appreciate the quality we're trying to achieve on a 0$ budget? :P

The irony being that I used to really be into metalcore, but now it all sounds the same to me. :D

The video's pretty good. There's not a ton you can do with the "band on a stage" style of video, but this is well-executed. No obvious sync issues. Good use of lighting.

it is very very commercial, why hasn't the south afrikaan's accent been preserved throughout? was surprised at how american it sounds, but can't fault the video or production, just not what I expected.

Hey guys :)

So I'm a film student, and I also love messing around with sound recording as a personal hobby. Therefore Music Videos are quite my thing. Please take a look at this track from a friend of mines band - I rate his recording of the song is pretty top notch. Both he and I would love to know what you think of the the recording, as well as the music video.

I am very aware the genre may not be for all of you :) but perhaps try appreciate the quality we're trying to achieve on a 0$ budget? :P

I really enjoyed both video and song! Great quality, very listenable, energetic!

The irony being that I used to really be into metalcore, but now it all sounds the same to me. :D

The video's pretty good. There's not a ton you can do with the "band on a stage" style of video, but this is well-executed. No obvious sync issues. Good use of lighting.

Thanks, I appreciate the comment :) I agree there's not a lot you can do, hopefully their next video can try be a bit more dynamic.

it is very very commercial, why hasn't the south afrikaan's accent been preserved throughout? was surprised at how american it sounds, but can't fault the video or production, just not what I expected.

It's really interesting that you say that. A small part of the band's choices were based on trying to create a more "commercial" sound. The fact is, South Africans do not react well to "local" sounding music. So by making it seem "commercial" there is this persona that the band is bigger than it actually is.

As for the accent though, its pretty much just the accent we have. There was definitely no conscious effort to move away from our local accent. I don't know if you are very familiar with our accent, but I find that television versions of our accent are HEAVILY exaggerated :) thanks for the comment, glad you appreciated the video

i thought this kicked ass, bloody nice work :)

great band,would defo listen to more ...

once you spot the limiter on the master channel you can really hear it (i cant un-hear it now .. just sayin be aware of it for the next one)

btw you can make great audience blinders out of banks of car headlights (scrapyard) ;)

i thought this kicked ass, bloody nice work :)

great band,would defo listen to more ...

once you spot the limiter on the master channel you can really hear it (i cant un-hear it now .. just sayin be aware of it for the next one)

btw you can make great audience blinders out of banks of car headlights (scrapyard) ;)

Wow, thanks for the kind words! :) I'll definitely bring the limiter issue up with the Producer. I would be appreciative if you could explain what it is that you can't unhear and what it is one should be listening out for to avoid this problem. Banks of car headlights sounds like a great idea, very grunge :P

Wow, thanks for the kind words! :) I'll definitely bring the limiter issue up with the Producer. I would be appreciative if you could explain what it is that you can't unhear and what it is one should be listening out for to avoid this problem. Banks of car headlights sounds like a great idea, very grunge :P

yeah! i pinched the headlights idea off a band i roadie`d for a few times,they built them into 2 boxes about 18" wide by 5/6 foot ... had handles and removable hinges (the ones that come apart when open) on one side and quick release catches on the other so they went together for easy transportation/protection ... painted em matt black and looked the part,cabling went inside too :)

the limiter - brings everything up louder,when a channel (like when the backing vocals kick in) is too loud it causes the volume of other things in the mix to drop as they fight for space ... just listen out for volume changes ... more noticeable on things that should be at a constant volume throughout the track

i could give you video timings if you like .. would have to be later/tomorrow im real busy right now (came hear for a break and to listen to some choons)

yeah! i pinched the headlights idea off a band i roadie`d for a few times,they built them into 2 boxes about 18" wide by 5/6 foot ... had handles and removable hinges (the ones that come apart when open) on one side and quick release catches on the other so they went together for easy transportation/protection ... painted em matt black and looked the part,cabling went inside too :)

the limiter - brings everything up louder,when a channel (like when the backing vocals kick in) is too loud it causes the volume of other things in the mix to drop as they fight for space ... just listen out for volume changes ... more noticeable on things that should be at a constant volume throughout the track

i could give you video timings if you like .. would have to be later/tomorrow im real busy right now (came hear for a break and to listen to some choons)

Thanks for that :) I'll mention it to the producer!

On reviewing the video, I noticed that all video is shot in one place with one style. Maybe combining some other shots shot in different way, would make the video less monotone?

Here is a link to Olivia Lufkin's video Wish, which uses the band image in a similar way to your video, however, it is much more diversified and interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w7gmBD5LjA

I'm not a metalcore fan, but this was amazingly done. Then you tell me it was done with no budget?
I hate you all....jk

On reviewing the video, I noticed that all video is shot in one place with one style. Maybe combining some other shots shot in different way, would make the video less monotone?

Here is a link to Olivia Lufkin's video Wish, which uses the band image in a similar way to your video, however, it is much more diversified and interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w7gmBD5LjA

Thanks for the feedback, I definitely understand how it would help keep the video interesting. We are planning on doing another video in just a while, and will definitely be using that advice, and shoot in a variety of locations.

---------- Update ----------

I'm not a metalcore fan, but this was amazingly done. Then you tell me it was done with no budget?
I hate you all....jk

Thank you so much for the kind words :) We all really appreciate them!

Back