Got a new video camera

Tape it to the end of your bottom snare mic - I reckon you hit that thing pretty ahrd - I'd love to see it.
Oh, well done getting a vid cam. I bet we see fish from it before we see music vids.

Tape it to the end of your bottom snare mic - I reckon you hit that thing pretty ahrd - I'd love to see it.
Oh, well done getting a vid cam. I bet we see fish from it before we see music vids.

Too bad he doesn't use a bottom snare mic... Maybe he can tape it to his stick!

How would I make a live scene in which I'm playing every instrument?

Cloning works well. Haha but seriously, you can do something like leaving the camera in one spot then moving your position with each instrument. You'll need video editing software to crop each video so it looks like multiple yous.

Cloning works well. Haha but seriously, you can do something like leaving the camera in one spot then moving your position with each instrument. You'll need video editing software to crop each video so it looks like multiple yous.

No, I want a wide action shot of 4 of me playing on one stage. How would I do that?

Getting four of you playing at once is tricky, but I expect there are easy ways of doing it using masks and stuff (which I haven't mastered).

However, one way it can be done (in my handycam-Vegas combination) is to use the Vegas Cookie-cutter plug in.

Set up the 'stage' so that there are four definite areas in which each player will be, i.e. person 1 is on the far left, person 2 on the middle left, person 3 on the middle right and person 4 on the far right.

Record each person performing, then pile these four video tracks on top of each other.

The bottom track stays as it is (this is person 1 on the left). Use the cookie cutter on the second from the bottom to give a split screen covering three quarters (i.e. leaving person 1 visible). Use the cookie cutter on the third from the bottom to give a split screen covering half (leaving persons 1 and 2 now visible). The topmost later uses the cookie cutter again, but (because of the way the plugin works) using "cut away section" instead of "cut away all but section" over the first three quarters.

If you play with opacity, of the top layers, the intrusion of person 1 into person 2's space may workout.

I've just tried the above out, but using four different clips to see how it works. I haven't tried recreating a band, though.

It's also not as good as having the players overlap each other . . . which is beyond me.

I think you can try green screen and chroma keying. I haven't tried it myself yet and it sounds intimidiating at first, but I think the trick to good green screening is to get a uniform color of the green. So that means good lighting.

I'm sure you can easily find a roll of green paper... well hell here it is, $50:

Results for Green Screens / Backdrops:Chromakey Green

(I just might get this myself)

Shoot the room without yourself in it or instruments; or maybe use a still shot, then shoot yourself playing each intrument in front of the green screen. Once for bass, once for guitar, etc... I think Vegas handles chroma-keying easily.

I say that's pretty advanced stuff for a first attempt at video, so maybe just practice shooting and editing other things first. Then come back to shoot with green screen.

Getting four of you playing at once is tricky, but I expect there are easy ways of doing it using masks and stuff (which I haven't mastered).

However, one way it can be done (in my handycam-Vegas combination) is to use the Vegas Cookie-cutter plug in.

Set up the 'stage' so that there are four definite areas in which each player will be, i.e. person 1 is on the far left, person 2 on the middle left, person 3 on the middle right and person 4 on the far right.

Record each person performing, then pile these four video tracks on top of each other.

The bottom track stays as it is (this is person 1 on the left). Use the cookie cutter on the second from the bottom to give a split screen covering three quarters (i.e. leaving person 1 visible). Use the cookie cutter on the third from the bottom to give a split screen covering half (leaving persons 1 and 2 now visible). The topmost later uses the cookie cutter again, but (because of the way the plugin works) using "cut away section" instead of "cut away all but section" over the first three quarters.

If you play with opacity, of the top layers, the intrusion of person 1 into person 2's space may workout.

I've just tried the above out, but using four different clips to see how it works. I haven't tried recreating a band, though.

It's also not as good as having the players overlap each other . . . which is beyond me.

Yeah that's what I was talking about. Gecko just expanded it. :D The green screen might be the easiest, but the crappiest looking. It's one of those things that takes a while to get to look halfway decent.

Yeah but playing and recording is fun. Editing video isn't.

I have fun editing video. I find it more creative then mixing audio because with audio you are locked in to a linear timeline. Video has a linear time line but you can chop it up any way you want to.
The fun part is when you sync a really good visual with an audio event..

I have never personally done any green screen video but it does seem like it would be a lot of work.

Might be easier to get actors and just have them wear Greg masks (ala Aphex twin) -

i find sony vegas pretty easy G, looks and works kinda like a DAW....though ive only tried basic shit

I bought the Cyberlink Power director - it is pretty easy and intuitive. Free trial HD Video Editing and Movie Making Software

I have never used any other - when I bought it I researched a few, but it was pretty inexpensive from what I remember.

The trial only last 30 days - so make sure you have some video footage to mess with before you install!

CHili is right about chromakeying and using a green screen, and Vegas has a chromakey plugin that works pretty well. For this you need five layers of video. A video of the room, then a video of each player in front of a green screen.

It is indeed a lot of work to make a 3 minute video that no-one is going to watch . . . but . . . that's not dissimilar to spending hours recording a 3 minute song that no-one's going to listen to.

I made myself a green screen . . . just got a huge long length of green material, cut it up and sewed it together to make a single piece that's about 3m high and 4.5m wide. That bit is relatively easy. The hard bit is getting even lighting on it.

kc is on the money by suggesting vegas. It is cheap, and if you use (and like) Reaper, you will find Vegas a breeze, because it uses the same methodology.

And I'm with arcadeko . . . I love the editing part, particularly this: "The fun part is when you sync a really good visual with an audio event". Conversely, I hate shooting video.

CHili is right about chromakeying and using a green screen, and Vegas has a chromakey plugin that works pretty well. For this you need five layers of video. A video of the room, then a video of each player in front of a green screen.

It is indeed a lot of work to make a 3 minute video that no-one is going to watch . . . but . . . that's not dissimilar to spending hours recording a 3 minute song that no-one's going to listen to.

I made myself a green screen . . . just got a huge long length of green material, cut it up and sewed it together to make a single piece that's about 3m high and 4.5m wide. That bit is relatively easy. The hard bit is getting even lighting on it.

kc is on the money by suggesting vegas. It is cheap, and if you use (and like) Reaper, you will find Vegas a breeze, because it uses the same methodology.

And I'm with arcadeko . . . I love the editing part, particularly this: "The fun part is when you sync a really good visual with an audio event". Conversely, I hate shooting video.

You got any videos worth watching? I totally appreciate advice, but it's gotta be from a reputable source. :)

Back