Got a new video camera

You got any videos worth watching? I totally appreciate advice, but it's gotta be from a reputable source. :)

I've uploaded heaps of videos to Youtube . . . just search for geckozzed

Here are some examples of different style of video:
Live performance:
Simulated performance (lip-sync):
Vaguely surreal:

Not bad. I like that live one.

I'm thinking of doing something with a plot and action scenes mixed in with "live" footage. I'm not interested in doing vids with random photos or fake studio sessions.

Something like this:

I think my vision is way bigger than my knowledge or skill.

Power Director comes with a chroma key thing built in also*

hell you might be able to get by with a big green sheet - as long as you have good even lighting on the backdrop. Getting 4 or 5 versions in the video would be some work. But if you were creative with angles and stuff you could just do two at a time - like show the drummer and bass player - then show the singer and guitar player from a different angle - maybe just see the drum kit in the frame. Or you could get stand-ins to wear the same clothes and film them from the back or the side when you have the other clones playing.

I think it could be pretty cool - I would have a cut away and have you banging on the door of the house or apt like your complaining about the noise, and cut away to you in another room banging a broom on the ceiling like your the downstairs neighbor. Call the cops and then you could answer the phone in a cop uniform and take the complaint...

Maybe I am getting ahead of myself. But it would be pretty funny (or insanely narcissistic or maybe both?)

Not sure if your the kind of person to dress up as a cop :laughings::laughings::laughings:

I kind of like this idea, if you don't use it maybe I will :eek:

I think my vision is way bigger than my knowledge or skill.

Well . . . yes . . . I know the feeling! The thing I don't like about making videos is that to try and capture what you can see in your head is enormously time consuming and expensive. I want to do stop-motion stuff and animations . . . but the effort required is huge.

I guess it's not dissimilar to someone posting in HR saying "I've got a USB mike, how can I sound professional?"

What kind of software do I need?
Traveling today, so I'm late to the party... again.

For software, the one thing that stood out for me with Vegas was it could do AVCHD natively, which at the time when I bought it, others couldn't do. AVCHD is the latest format that most of the popular consumer cameras are using. You really want to be sure whatever software you get can process your format natively so you don't have to run it through a converter before using it. that would suck.

Maybe nowadays all the software suites can do AVCHD. IDk.

Getting four of you playing at once is tricky, but I expect there are easy ways of doing it using masks and stuff (which I haven't mastered).

I'd think that making a Greg mask would be considered a war crime under the geneva conventions.

Oh wait... not that kind of mask!

:D

Last edited:
Isuspected you probably wouldn't like Canadian versions of Soda. We do not use HFCS.

Thusly we will have punch.

No, I want a wide action shot of 4 of me playing on one stage. How would I do that?
Masking with a static camera. 4 layers keyed on top of each other. We do stuff like that at work... if forced to. But we use Final Cut Pro and Premier CS2 and light kits (which make this stuff a lot easier)

Hey Greg,
In first version of my "Revolution" video I played all instruments and I was singing.
I wasn't on the stage but in prison cell but technique would be the same.
I recorded both music and video clips in my bedroom.

When I got clips from my collabs I replaced me singing and playing drums with those so I'm not multiply character any more, just a double (on the bass and the guitars)

This is not difficult actually. It's the patient what is really required here.
My camcorder is a cheap Sony... something.

The trick is in the green screen and a lot of light.
My green screen was cheep paper but I used light from many angles to kill unwanted shadows behind me.
My singer did not do that part well and that's why some corny stuff around his ears and other places. The drummer did not use green screen at all so I found another solution to put us in the same room.
I know nobody is watching my videos but believe me it was a lot of fun making it.
Someone has mentioned animations in music video and I really like those.
I hope I'll include them in my next vid.

The vid is available in HD if you visit my YT channel
Enjoy!
[video]https://www.youtube.com/user/ThePOLARCIRCLE?feature=mhum[/video]

Back