Cramps for Greg L

chuckduffy

Greg mentioned the Cramps on another thread. Apparently another band we both love, besides the Ramones. Here's a Cramps cover I recorded @ last halloween, in all it's ridiculous suck. GOO GOO MUCK.

Love it! You seem to have a great attitude man. Are you using some kind of plugin for the e-drums or is that the stock sound?

Greg mentioned the Cramps on another thread. Apparently another band we both love, besides the Ramones. Here's a Cramps cover I recorded @ last halloween, in all it's ridiculous suck. GOO GOO MUCK.

Fucking awesome. Great job on a great classic Cramps song!

Cool vid too. How'd you do it? I've never done one and might give it atry.

Love it! You seem to have a great attitude man. Are you using some kind of plugin for the e-drums or is that the stock sound?

Thanks man. I love recording the songs I love, so I guess that probably comes over in my attitude. As far as drum sounds - I hook that cheapo Simmons kit up via midi and trigger all kinds of different VSTI drum kits that I made over time. I have addictive drums, slate drums and some of the other usual suspects that show up here. The stock sounds on that kit are seriously horrible, but I have actually used them :-) I really want a real kit but don't have the environment for it. Most times I will just play super sloppy, and add shakers and bongos and the like over top of the stuff and it gets a lot more natural sounding.

Fucking awesome. Great job on a great classic Cramps song!

Cool vid too. How'd you do it? I've never done one and might give it atry.

Thanks man! I do the vids with a Logitech web cam. My daw is Cubase. I just start the vid capture (that came with the camera) right before I start the take in cubase. I try and record video and audio live in 1 take for each track, and usually try and slap a 4 count at the front of every track.

Then I use Vegas Movie Studio (which is cheap but great) and lay in the video tracks and the mix, and then manually slip and nudge each track until the counts line up visually, then by audio phase if there is bleed into the cam mic. Once I got used to it, it takes about 15 minutes to line up the videos for drums, bass, guitar and vocals on a 3 minute song.

Thanks man! I do the vids with a Logitech web cam. My daw is Cubase. I just start the vid capture (that came with the camera) right before I start the take in cubase. I try and record video and audio live in 1 take for each track, and usually try and slap a 4 count at the front of every track.

Then I use Vegas Movie Studio (which is cheap but great) and lay in the video tracks and the mix, and then manually slip and nudge each track until the counts line up visually, then by audio phase if there is bleed into the cam mic. Once I got used to it, it takes about 15 minutes to line up the videos for drums, bass, guitar and vocals on a 3 minute song.

So you mix the song and the video at the same time in Vegas? Or are you using an already mixed stereo track and lining up the video to that?

Ha!! I remember that song. wow. Great cover. I'd like to see a little more going on with the video, but I get it using the webcam and all. You can add in more cuts with different angles; especially during the solo part.

Good delivery of attitude with the singing.

Were you using the same computer to capture both video and audio?

So you mix the song and the video at the same time in Vegas? Or are you using an already mixed stereo track and lining up the video to that?

I mix down in cubase to a stereo wav. Drag that into vegas, then drag in and sync the videos one at a time using the cam bleed audio to line things up.

Ha!! I remember that song. wow. Great cover. I'd like to see a little more going on with the video, but I get it using the webcam and all. You can add in more cuts with different angles; especially during the solo part.

Good delivery of attitude with the singing.

Were you using the same computer to capture both video and audio?

Thanks Chili. I don't really do much with the videos except capture the takes. I'm not too good with the editing part :-) I use the same computer for audio and video. The webcam came with a little capture program. I start that then start the take in cubase and let it rip...

I mix down in cubase to a stereo wav. Drag that into vegas, then drag in and sync the videos one at a time using the cam bleed audio to line things up.

Sweet, thanks. I might give this a try. I've got a good vid camera. One of the kiddies does animation stuff with Vegas something-or-other. I'll give it a try.

Cramped goodness - it does essay the link between the Cramps & the mutated pop that in many instances followed: like B52s doesn't it?
I enjoyed!
Thanks!

Sweet, thanks. I might give this a try. I've got a good vid camera. One of the kiddies does animation stuff with Vegas something-or-other. I'll give it a try.

It's not difficult, especially if you use a DAW like reaper. It is time consuming and there's more creative thought than just writing a song.

Cramped goodness - it does essay the link between the Cramps & the mutated pop that in many instances followed: like B52s doesn't it?
I enjoyed!
Thanks!

One of my friends wrote me "Fred Schneider called, he wants his points" after hearing the song :-) I totally hear a little Cramps DNA in early B52s stuff.

Does Reaper do video?

I don't know about Reaper, but I do know that 'does video' means something completely different to most DAW makers. Cubase does video, but that means the ability to sync a video track to the audio and display it in a window. That's a lot different than syncing and editing a whole bunch of videos to the audio.

Does Reaper do video?

I don't think it does. I meant that a program like Sony Vegas acts almost the same way as Reaper. If you know Reaper, it won't take long to learn Vegas. The big difference is instead of recording straight into Vegas, you upload the video from your camera to a folder then drag/copy whatever clips you want into the timeline. Edit everything from there.

Let me know if you need help. I'm not too too far away.

Cool thanks. I'll let you know. I think I'll be fine though. The kids make videos every day. Elaborate animated things. They draw that shit frame by frame and put it all together. It's insane. They'll spend 3 hours on 3 seconds of video. :laughings:

Me, I'm afraid my video ambitions far outweigh any skills I could probably accumulate. I have a kick ass video idea for a song that would take Steven Spielberg to work it all out.

Back