Closer To Hell - High Energy Hard Rock (Performance Video)

Yup, I agree. Decent job on the video and mix sounds good. One step further, though... the mix sounds great!! Radio ready as far as I'm concerned. Good set of pipes there, too.

My videos always suck, but that doesn't stop me from spewing my opinion on others' videos.

All the performance shots get boring after a while. I was ready to turn it off before the 3 minute mark because it kept going to the same few shots. Ya gotta add other stuff in there, even if it is abstract. It's called B-Roll or outtakes. Something that piques the viewer's interest, because, as good as the song might be... with a video, people aren't really listening to the song.

The last video I made, I did a time lapse on a motorcycle ride with my iphone. When I imported the video clip to the timeline in vegas, I stretched it out so it was near normal time. But because it was a time lapse recording, it had only 1 or 2 frames per second and gave a choppy feel to the video. Then I applied a cartoon effect. Overall, I think it came out pretty cool. I cut between lip syncing shots and the motorcycle ride and then a couple of other weird clips I had hanging around.

For me, the hardest part is coming up with imaginative ideas for videos, then getting the family to play along....

BTW, I did watch the whole video. :)

Sooooooo, your saying I should keep all my songs under 3 minutes then :D

Next video I do I will look into doing something other than just performing. I'm still not totally used to doing videos and have quite a bit to learn. Sometimes it's tough to think to after putting a lot into the song writing, recording, and mixing process too. Also, it is tough to make a "real" video to follow a theme for the song with limited resources. I think overall the one man production just takes a lot out of that one man.

I really appreciate the input though. I'm always looking to improve.

Regarding the mix, I stepped away from using a bunch of emulations on this one. No more Slate Digital tapes and consoles etc... Just some good old comp and EQ with a whole lot of performance and good recordings up front. I, and probably many others, go through phases when mixing and bounce between plugins. I've decided to embrace that I'm mixing on a computer and don't need to pretend otherwise. Seriously though, if you have a great performance, a well laid out arrangement, and some know how regarding mixing, then you can do a whole lot with not much as far as plugins go.

Thanks for the positive vibes on the singing too. That is always a tough spot when you listen to yourself sing. But you have to be your toughest critic to get better. I listen to some of my older songs and my voice is rough because I really didn't know what I was doing but I think I'm really comfortable now a days with my voice.

It's true that all performance shots all the time is kind of tedious.

I might actually suggest trying to edit it less like a music video. You don't have a lot of concepts to work with, so there really isn't a way to maintain visual interest for an entire song. Maybe use longer shots and split multiple shots into the same frame. Try to emphasize that this isn't so much a music video as a document of how the song was made.
(This would also entail dropping the miscellaneous effects.)

Alternatively, as Chili implied, splice in some completely different footage of something more varied throughout.

It's true that all performance shots all the time is kind of tedious.

I might actually suggest trying to edit it less like a music video. You don't have a lot of concepts to work with, so there really isn't a way to maintain visual interest for an entire song. Maybe use longer shots and split multiple shots into the same frame. Try to emphasize that this isn't so much a music video as a document of how the song was made.
(This would also entail dropping the miscellaneous effects.)

Alternatively, as Chili implied, splice in some completely different footage of something more varied throughout.

Thanks for the input. I see what your saying. Like keeping up certain parts longer but then bringing another shot into the same frame like PIP or something. I'm still finding my way around Final Cut and am learning how to deal with sync clips better. Next one I do I may just try something completely different though to see how that works out.

Sooooooo, your saying I should keep all my songs under 3 minutes then :D

Maybe not the song, just the video. :D

Also, it is tough to make a "real" video to follow a theme for the song with limited resources. I think overall the one man production just takes a lot out of that one man.

Absolutely true. It is a lot of work for one person, especially the video. My wife and kids participate in my videos and that is even more work because they aren't as motivated as I am and don't have the same vision. At least everybody in your video knows what the end product should look like. LOL....

There is an advantage to using abstract B-Roll; you don't need to follow the theme of the song. That's the abstract part and it makes things a whole lot easier.

Back