Budget camera?

Your talking production formats, I mentioned distribution. Typical 1080i bit rates are in the 7-14Mbps range (with the lower end looking pretty shite to me).

Even in production terms, you're really talking high end stuff to use 25-50Mbps. For example, the AVCHD format as sold by Sony and Panasonic (and widely used by broadcasters) is 28Mbps for progressive scan and lower for interlaced.

It's a brave (and rubbish) new world. The first digital VTRs I bought were 4:2:2 coding at 270Mbps for standard definition! The Moving Picture Expert Group as a lot to answer for--though I suppose that without them we wouldn't have HD at all.

For my opinion, if video is not pro, you can use some phone equipped with better camera..

It depends on the level of quality you want. There's not simply "pro" and "not pro".

For example, it takes some effort to put a phone on a tripod--and not everything wants to be hand held. Similarly, few phone cameras (if any) offer optical zoom and digital zoom messes up resolution. Few phone cameras perform well under low light.

If you can live within these and other limitations, great--but you just need to be aware of what you're getting into.

For my opinion, if video is not pro, you can use some phone equipped with better camera..
No phone is going to produce video as good as the semi-pro and advanced amateur cameras. In addition to the points mentioned by Bobbsy, there are other factors including the size of the sensor, the quality of the lens, the number of sensors (1 versus 3), the minimum lux level, the optical resolution, the ability to have manual control over focus and exposure, the amount of digital noise, and, of course, the video format and amount of compression applied, all of which have rather dramatic effect on video quality.

Digital video is just as complicated a field as digital audio -- I don't know why some people who, clearly, have no background or knowledge in the area think their opinion is valid.

As far as I've seen, Go Pros look kinda weird. I think they're made for being able to be used underwater which is cool, but what I've seen doesn't look as good as say a cannon. Cannon makes some great cameras, I have a vixia HF R600 and I love it!

Good lighting is essential with iphone. This avoids noise and artifacts.

For best results shoot outdoors
No, it doesn't. It lessens some artifacts and noise. The nature of the sensor, the lens and the compression guarantee artifacts and noise.

Amateur cameras will ALWAYS produce video that is, from a technical standpoint, amateur quality.

Back