Advice on the cheapest option for recording a video of me and my guiar for Youtube

powerbob247

Hi,

Which option is cheapest for a simple video recording of me playing my guitar, would a webcam be the way to go, if so any recomendations on which one as there are so many, i also own an iphone and have heard they do a decent recording? Lastly would it be better to record me live, or to record the audio and video sepreate then put together for better quality?

Many thanks

The cheapest way is a webcam, recording live, but it won't sound or look that great.

A better way is to record with reasonable mikes and a better camera . . . current handycams would be better.

Better still is to record with dedicated recording equipment, then do the video separately

I think they make hi-def web cams. But hell you can get a little hi-def flip-cam for around $100

As far as video quality is concerned, if it's just a video of you playing guitar, your webcam is probably adequate. (Though if you don't already have a webcam, you might as well go with the $100 flip cam Arcadeko mentioned. I've heard good things about those.)

I would get a decent audio rig though. Invest in some decent mics and a decent interface, and then match the audio to the video later.

Back