YOUwantME

heatmiser

mr. green christmas
Uh, not you whomever is reading this...that was just written on a poster I was staring at while tracking this the last couple of nights.

Really just trying out some new sounds with the Hammond organ and got carried away. I didn't understand the percussion settings or the function of the drawbars until now. I had the drawbars all pulled out full, and it just had this church organ thing going on. Sure enough, if you scoop the drawbar settings and leave a lot of low end, you get more of that percussive, cool classic rock/blues organ sound. There's a small riff on the left done with those settings and I want to learn to use that more.

I apologize that this is, A) an instrumental, and B) probably a little boring. It's an ok mix though, right? Lots of layers and I think it's reasonably tight? What do you think?

2nd mix - 03.05.15 - with raised lead guitar level and lowered fuzz (at times):

3rd mix - 03.08.15 - removed some stuff in places and created another break in the middle (better?):

Thanks,
Pete

Last edited:
I'm loving the drum groove. There's a minigun kinda sound that keeps repeating and gets old after a while, I guess it's the bass? You've got a great couple of organ tones going. The second? lead (not even sure where it starts, but somewhere around 1:35) sounds a bit buried till the end. Some tasty, bluesy stuff going on in there! :cool:

I really like it! I like the trashy "in the alley" drum sounds. Vocals would be cool....not sure where you would put them though lol

I'm loving the drum groove. There's a minigun kinda sound that keeps repeating and gets old after a while, I guess it's the bass? You've got a great couple of organ tones going. The second? lead (not even sure where it starts, but somewhere around 1:35) sounds a bit buried till the end. Some tasty, bluesy stuff going on in there! :cool:

Thanks man. Yeah, the fuzz bass thing. It is relentless! I fucked up choosing this loop and couldn't string it together and keep it in time without inserting a little gap of dead air in between each loop. The fuzz bass covers it up and without it, the drums are revealed to be the stop and start mechanical thing that they actually are. If I can think of a way to remove that fuzz bass thing at times without making the loops sound so loopy, I will. Thanks again.

I really like it! I like the trashy "in the alley" drum sounds. Vocals would be cool....not sure where you would put them though lol

Thanks! I like those loops too. I think they're meant for old school rap or something? I wanted to sing something on it originally, but I just couldn't stop layering and now I don't think there's room. :)

I thought the sounds all sounded great. The distorted bass sound was especially cool. Everything grooves well.

Maybe bring up the level of the lead guitar a little? It's a bit back in the mix for a lead guitar.

I'm catching some pitchiness on the kazoo's in the 2:50's.

Other than that, it sounds top notch.

I liked the wah wah guitar and the organ. It's hard for it to be bad if there is wah wah rhythm guitar and Hammond organ sound in it. I liked the groove. I thought the low-fi drums fit the song well. I wasn't crazy about the fuzzed out bass , but I didn't hate it.

It's a fun tune man!
Nice work

Last edited:
Maybe bring up the level of the lead guitar a little? It's a bit back in the mix for a lead guitar.

^^This for me^^

Sounds f'in great here. Got a real good groove going on there. You could expand on this and give it another dimension, different progression, key change, etc.

Always a pleasure listening to your tunes heat. :thumbs up:

Very, very, very nice. Yeah, bring up the riffing guitar. You gotta put some words to this - it's too good not to. If you don't, I will lol. I got an idea.

I thought the sounds all sounded great. The distorted bass sound was especially cool. Everything grooves well.

I'm catching some pitchiness on the kazoo's in the 2:50's.

Other than that, it sounds top notch.

Thanks MMM! Yeah, the kazoo part was rushed. So simple to play that I kind of take them for granted. Might do them over as I know I could do better.

Someone else before and after you mentioned the lead guitar level. I didn't want it super out front, but I could live with it being a little louder. Maybe I'll try that? Thanks again.

I liked the wah wah guitar and the organ. It's hard for it to be bad if there is wah wah rhythm guitar and Hammond organ sound in it. I liked the groove. I thought the low-fi drums fit the song well. I wasn't crazy about the fuzzed out bass , but I didn't hate it.

It's a fun tune man!
Nice work

Cool, thanks jimi. I think the fuzz bass would be more tolerable if I dropped the level at times like when the lead guitar is happening. I like the sound myself and the role it plays, but it is kind of a constant thing throughout the tune, which could be tiresome. Good stuff here to think about...

^^This for me^^

Sounds f'in great here. Got a real good groove going on there. You could expand on this and give it another dimension, different progression, key change, etc.

Always a pleasure listening to your tunes heat. :thumbs up:

Awesome. Thanks Mr C. Ok, another vote for upping the lead guitar. Duly noted. I'm thinking if I do that, plus bring down the fuzz in places, I might be good?

Yes, I wish I'd had the foresight to map out an actual song or progression, but it started with the fuzz, then the keys...and I just built it up around simple riffs and triads and stuff, paying no attention to melody or chord progressions or anything. It just left me with this sort of one-chord jam. I wish it had other musical directions, but not sure I could edit it in that way at this point? More of a test for hammond organ sounds I guess? That's my excuse anyway! :)

Very, very, very nice. Yeah, bring up the riffing guitar. You gotta put some words to this - it's too good not to. If you don't, I will lol. I got an idea.

Awesome. Thanks dobro! Yeah, I am always open to singing on anything, but if I get far enough into it these days without vocals, I get used to it without and just sort of live with it. What's your idea??? :)

Hell yeah. This needs a vocal something fierce.

Sweet. Sounds like dobro has an idea.... :) Thanks for checking it out.

Awesome. Thanks dobro! Yeah, I am always open to singing on anything, but if I get far enough into it these days without vocals, I get used to it without and just sort of live with it. What's your idea??? :)

Sweet. Sounds like dobro has an idea.... :) Thanks for checking it out.

I've got three lines so far, and an overarching idea which combines pain and humor. I think it'll work. Would you consider it? I don't want to sing it even if you agree to it though, because I really like your voice with your stuff. Whatcha think?

I'm always interested in how things develop in a tune. As a composition/arrangement it well holds your interest. Yes...the center section is longish but you could break it up by dropping certain tracks in and out...and that's all I'd maybe want differently. The electric lead at 1:11 could be louder initially....or the dynamics of the accompanying tracks could change...going much lower. It's well in the pocket towards the end of the first solo...but it's buried in the beginning of it. I like the tone.

Creative stuff! The kazoo choir especially.

I've got three lines so far, and an overarching idea which combines pain and humor. I think it'll work. Would you consider it? I don't want to sing it even if you agree to it though, because I really like your voice with your stuff. Whatcha think?

Of course I would consider it! I would love to hear your ideas. I did a new mix last night with the lead guitar up and the fuzz bass being lowered 1-2 dbs every few bars as each pair of new instruments are introduced. By the time you get to the lead now, the fuzz is less overbearing I think. I raise it back up for the break before the kazoos. Does that help any? I think I like it better that way? Anyway, I didn't leave much room for vocals, but I'm all ears... :)

I'm always interested in how things develop in a tune. As a composition/arrangement it well holds your interest. Yes...the center section is longish but you could break it up by dropping certain tracks in and out...and that's all I'd maybe want differently. The electric lead at 1:11 could be louder initially....or the dynamics of the accompanying tracks could change...going much lower. It's well in the pocket towards the end of the first solo...but it's buried in the beginning of it. I like the tone.

Creative stuff! The kazoo choir especially.

Thanks! Yes, I did some of that adding and removing stuff later on, but I do make the listener wait quite a while for a break. It takes so long to build in the first place. I did a new mix where the fuzz comes down quite a bit for that middle section, so the lead is more prominent...hope I didn't overdo it. Thanks again!

New 03.05 mix (added to 1st post as well)- any better?

Mix 2 - COOL.
Words & voice needed.
C'mon baby -
I am incendiary
Drop the needle
and feel my heat
Ain't no miser -
I'm interplanetary
You know you want me
Synch to my beat.

C'mon baby
you should take my meaning
take my entrendre
and double treat
Ain't no miser -
I'll give it all to you
I know you want me
I feel your heat

or something similarly trashy.

Damn Pete that was sehr cool...I was getting all kinda starsky and hutch, beck, 70's images flashing around...v trashy and cool

mix sounded great to me...i dont think it needs vox, i liked it as an instrumental

btw my daughter was dancing, aint that a new one! :D

New 03.05 mix (added to 1st post as well)- any better?

Better yes...but the drums are still leading that section. I'd either write them differently to bring back the impact of them in that section....or just reduce the velocity during that section. The lead guitar needs to lead. If it does...then that section will have it own unique character....all the way to the drum break at 2:22. I hope you don't mind arrangement suggestions. Arrangement and composition are the things I key into the most.

Mix 2 - COOL.
Words & voice needed.
C'mon baby -
I am incendiary
Drop the needle
and feel my heat
Ain't no miser -
I'm interplanetary
You know you want me
Synch to my beat.

C'mon baby
you should take my meaning
take my entrendre
and double treat
Ain't no miser -
I'll give it all to you
I know you want me
I feel your heat

or something similarly trashy.

LOL - cool. Thanks ray. :) I'll play around with that and see how it sounds. Thank you.

Back