Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Your thoughts please

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    For me the thing that really spoils it is, as everyone is saying, the timing is pretty poor. I suspected at first it was sequenced, or entered a note at a time on a guitar sound - because the guitar plays dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum-dum - with each note exactly the same length, with the same attack and overall exactly the same envelope. No different tones as the pick/finger nail hits the string at different angles and small differences in volume. Sometimes the two similar guitars play the same note, but at slightly different times - which sounds like a mistake by one of them. The voice is singing some very unpredictable notes. Harmony has quite a few 'rules' - that let the listener predict the next note that is coming, and this doesn't follow them. You can break the rules, once you know them in the first place. The result is the guitars and the vocal line creating very unusual chords. The combination of the guitars at the 50 sec-ish mark where one guitar suddenly changes the notes to ones that make you squirm really needs fixing - it just sounds like the guitarist was playing the wrong notes.

Sadly - I think the song is a non-starter I'm afraid. It's difficult to listen to and in places just sounds random. In your head, what chords were you actually creating, and what was the melody doing? Taking you on a musical journey, or just a loop that crosses over the loops the two guitars were playing, also quite independently?

When you say 'experimental' - I thought it would somehow evolve, but it's too random in so many areas.
    It was meant to be "creative" and experimental, C major is the key, everything being played is on key,so it's not completely random. I've just grown tired of the verse bridge chorus verse structure. It's just a snippet ahah, I need to finish it. The keys and drums are sampled, the guitar is played. But seriously how is the timing off? I've checked in the program and everything seems to be on the grid. Here's the audio with only the drums and guitar, if you listen to the drums you can hear kick, snare+kick four times.

Vocaroo | Voice message

Gridwise it's on time...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rfpd View Post
    .. But seriously how is the timing off? I've checked in the program and everything seems to be on the grid. Here's the audio with only the drums and guitar, if you listen to the drums you can hear kick, snare+kick four times.

Gridwise it's on time...
    Right at the :16 mark your guitar gets out of time with the drums.. seems to catch up for a second, then loses it again.
    Failure - - the path of least persistence
    And, uh, oh - hire a decorator to come in here quick, 'cause... DAMN.

Thanks
    That's out of time. To fix it, you need to hear it first. Turn on the gridlines in your DAW. Zoom in on the waveform of that guitar part. You'll see that it starts in time. Then the eighth notes begin to get sloppy, then it all goes off the rails.

Are you tapping your foot while you record? If not, try it. It feels awkward at first if you're not used to doing it, but it WILL improve your timing if you stick to it. Try to keep your foot moving steady and in time with the metronome or drum loop. If you like to stand up and move around while you play, and a foot tap just won't work, try nodding your head to the beat, or boogie around with your body, dance. Main thing is to get your body moving to the beat.

You DO NOT have to have super chops to make good home recordings. You do need to play cleanly and in time. Stick with it. Or find a teacher and take a few lessons focusing on playing in time.

Thanks
    I'm a lost cause , I honestly can't see that it is off time, I'll try recording with a metronome, I can play with that. It's just weird because it starts and ends where it's supposed to, perhaps it's what in between.

Thanks
    Listening to your Menace, and Again.. there are no drums and your vocal keeps fairly good time with your guitar strumming. So it doesn't appear to be that you yourself can't keep time.

Ya know.. something that MIGHT explain why you hear it in time and we don't .. maybe.. perhaps there is a latency problem
    somewhere. I don't know - it's a long shot.
    Failure - - the path of least persistence
    And, uh, oh - hire a decorator to come in here quick, 'cause... DAMN.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to spantini For This Useful Post:

Thread Information