Wreck of the edmund fitzgerald

hi bcf. so i just got around to listening to it and i really like it. i hate the original version of this song and find it so plodding and boring, but i like that you added distortion and i think picked up the pace, too. i actually made it through the entire thing easily. my friend was over and said "i kinda like it" so you got two feedbacks. i said "yeah me too and i hate the original of this song."

hi bcf. so i just got around to listening to it and i really like it. i hate the original version of this song and find it so plodding and boring, but i like that you added distortion and i think picked up the pace, too. i actually made it through the entire thing easily. my friend was over and said "i kinda like it" so you got two feedbacks. i said "yeah me too and i hate the original of this song."

Well I couldn't ask for more then that, Thank you !! I can appreciate your reasoning for disliking the original. I grew up with the song and have always liked it but I chose to do it mostly because it was very different from what I write and have always played. I'm a BayArea Metal Head and just trying to gain some recording experience and do something different. Thanks again for listening and hanging in til the end.

Not to hi-jack my own thread but the song that follows this on the Reverbnation page "Illuminain't" I was trying for a somewhat Beck-ish vibe for the first half of the tune. You might find it interesting ..........................

Vocals too low and too wet. It sounds like you recorded the vocals in the cargo hold, five hundred feet below the surface of Gitche Gumie. ;)

I'd get the vocals squared away first, then build the mix from there. Bass level sounds fine. The acoustic on the left is a bit stringy and too loud for me. Personally, I'd pan that electric guitar out wider.

I also grew up with this song. It's on that list of tunes I love but have heard too many times. However, it's cool that you're making a jump from recording metal to other genres. Nothing wrong with metal (well, except the kind with the screaming cookie monster vocals). Coming from a metal background and moving into more vocal-oriented genres, you need to readjust your thinking and hearing. The vocal has to be the focus. Everything else is supporting.

Vocals too low and too wet. It sounds like you recorded the vocals in the cargo hold, five hundred feet below the surface of Gitche Gumie. ;)

lol ...........to not drown my vocals or keep them buried somewhat has been tough and is an on going battle for me

The vocal has to be the focus. Everything else is supporting.

as I'm not very comfortable hearing my voice nor do I have a whole lot of talent in that department. I do get what your saying tho..........
I'll keep after it. Thanks for listening and commenting

I understand completely, and have been there myself. When you're not confident in your singing, the temptation is to saturate the vocal with reverb and bury it in the mix. It never works. For better or worse, the vocal has to be out front.

I understand completely, and have been there myself. When you're not confident in your singing, the temptation is to saturate the vocal with reverb and bury it in the mix. It never works. For better or worse, the vocal has to be out front.
Generally.. yep. The thing that happens too is you'll tend to get in and deal with more focus on the pitchs. Sometimes having something reverbed or delay is it spreads them out so they actually linger :)

For better or worse, the vocal has to be out front.

Not always. Some bands make their sound buried vocals. Polvo comes to mind, and they have sold millions of records. But they make it part of their sound and somehow blend it all really well in the mix. So it really depends, and as always, rules are made to be broken and there are thousands of exceptions. I think people watch too much Pensado's Place sometimes when they use absolutes like "always"...lol. In this case, though, I do agree and think it's about 2db too low because my ear strains to hear it in relation to the other instruments.

Seems bright to me. I think the vocal fx is obscuring the vocal at times. Cool interpretation, I really like covers that put a spin on things. The lead guitar seems a bit dry (during accents in the first half) but that's more of a personal preference maybe. Great song, Lightfoot is a first rate songwriter imho, good choice. :)

Gordon fan here. There is something about his songwriting and how he delivers a performance that gets under my skin and haunts me. You know, I don't think I even have anything of his in my music collection, but whenever I hear him, I stop and listen. He is one of those rare artists who can captivate an audience of tens of thousands of people, just him and an acoustic guitar.

Anyway...

This is a really cool take on this tune. The electric guitars throughout are a nice touch, and I really like where you have them sitting up above the vocals (in a 3 dimensional sense) and in the background.

I am finding that there is a touch of low end resonance that is *slightly* overpowering the rest of the mix. I hear it on my studio monitors, but not on my headphones so it is purely a translation thing. Somewhere between 80Hz and 100Hz likely, but I haven't tried to pinpoint it so that's a guess.

While I see where others are coming from, I kinda like the reverb drenched vocal effect because I think that it is adding that haunting sense to some of the more modern choices you've made here.

+1 for any song that has "Ontario" in it and another +1 for Gordon. You get +2.

I don't like the heavy reverb at all. Once you get comfortable listening to your own voice, you'll be more comfortable with less reverb. A couple of pitchy spots, but you can retrack and comp or use pitch correction. There are purists out there who will shun autotune or melodyne but I think it can help you to sing better. Using those tools, you hear how you want to sound, then you practice to achieve the same results without the crutch.

There are probably a few other nits about the mix, but for me, fix the vocals first then I can focus on the rest of it.

Yeah, I used to listen Lightfoot a lot when I was younger. Thanks for bringing him back for a few minutes. Great song and I like your version.

Generally.. yep. The thing that happens too is you'll tend to get in and deal with more focus on the pitchs. Sometimes having something reverbed or delay is it spreads them out so they actually linger :)

That's is a good point/tip ...............Thank you

Seems bright to me. I think the vocal fx is obscuring the vocal at times. Cool interpretation, I really like covers that put a spin on things. The lead guitar seems a bit dry (during accents in the first half) but that's more of a personal preference maybe. Great song, Lightfoot is a first rate songwriter imho, good choice. :)

yeah now I to feel the Accustic is a bit bright and the vocal fx are a bit heavy. It's strange those licks do seem dry to me also but the melody licks dont and they're the same tracks

This is a really cool take on this tune. The electric guitars throughout are a nice touch, and I really like where you have them sitting up above the vocals (in a 3 dimensional sense) and in the background.

I am finding that there is a touch of low end resonance that is *slightly* overpowering the rest of the mix. I hear it on my studio monitors, but not on my headphones so it is purely a translation thing. Somewhere between 80Hz and 100Hz likely, but I haven't tried to pinpoint it so that's a guess.

While I see where others are coming from, I kinda like the reverb drenched vocal effect because I think that it is adding that haunting sense to some of the more modern choices you've made here.

+1 for any song that has "Ontario" in it and another +1 for Gordon. You get +2.

Thank you !!!!!!!

I also am hearing a *slightly* overpowering low ..........I spent some time trying different bass tones ......looks like I need to spend a little bit more and see whats what. Perhaps a cut or shelf ? filter ? I'll have a go at it

I don't like the heavy reverb at all. Once you get comfortable listening to your own voice, you'll be more comfortable with less reverb. A couple of pitchy spots, but you can retrack and comp or use pitch correction. There are purists out there who will shun autotune or melodyne but I think it can help you to sing better. Using those tools, you hear how you want to sound, then you practice to achieve the same results without the crutch.

There are probably a few other nits about the mix, but for me, fix the vocals first then I can focus on the rest of it.

Yeah, I used to listen Lightfoot a lot when I was younger. Thanks for bringing him back for a few minutes. Great song and I like your version.

Thanks !!!! I haven't messed much with pitch correction tools yet but I'm all for learning .. of course I'd also like to improve my vocal abilities too. I think your right that the tool could clean up a squeal when needed and at the same time be a guide for learning and training the vioce. I've never listened to a whole Lightfoot album but would like to. I can only think of two songs from him Sun Down and Fitz I may have heard more not sure. Is a lot of his stuff 6/8 like Fitz and Sun Down ?? I am enjoying that kind of thing at the momment

In the first section I think the main rhythm guitars are too thin and too bright. When the drums and distorted guitars kick in the mix becomes fuller.

Guitar licks come in at odd times here and there. Some of the drum fills were a bit busy.

I'm hearing pitch problems in the vocal.

I like the tone of the guitar riff/lead.

Back