Would love feedback on this mix, (Electroswing)

Josh,
Aside from the glitchy scratch at the drum fill (eg 0:25 and like spots) mix sounds good to me, very fun tune. I like the deployment of vintage static. The entry of the keyboard/player-piano-like thing at 1:16 sounds tentative at first. Love the shifts down to the vocals and the unplugged vocal smear into the muted trumpet sequence! Keys around 2:55 clearer and more certain on entry. Seems like the tune ends with a ding at 3;59 but then the minute of nothingness after that to 5:03...

Thank you - your right I wasn’t sure about the entry of the piano so I was tentative. Good ears.

Yes the nothingness at the end is some kind of glitch, probably from Logic. It’s supposed to end with the triangle..

Is it your suggestion to remove the scratchy fills (some generic logic loop I used) and just leave the vintage Benny Goodman-like tom fills? Thanks for listening!

I thought it was a very good mix.

The trumpet is kind of a lead instrument. If it were me, I'd move it to the center. If it were possible to double it, or do a stereo delay or something it'd be nice. Make it bigger.

I'd also move the vocal to the center. Just me tho.

Overall an excellent mix.

The kick seems panned to the right.

I'm getting that too. This is a good mix and a very cool song, but there are some panning issues overall that make it not work super-great on headphones.

Vocals are pretty buried, but I'm guessing that's intentional?

I like the scratchy fill loop. It's cool.

I'd move the vocal to the center for sure, as well as move the trumpet towards the center. You could put a m/s decoder on it to give it width. The whistle-synth could be switched out for trumpet, I think. Good sound overall.

I'm getting that too. This is a good mix and a very cool song, but there are some panning issues overall that make it not work super-great on headphones.

Vocals are pretty buried, but I'm guessing that's intentional?

I like the scratchy fill loop. It's cool.

Yeah vocals are soft intentionally because it's supposed to be an old record in the background, but I could see how it sounds if I bring them up a little and bring them toward the center a bit too.

Yeah - what happened with the kick is that I have 2 drum loops going (in addition to the acoustic drums which are up for fills but but otherwise mostly buried). Each drum loop is panned to 30% to each side, and the louder one is providing the main kick sound so it is essentially panned 30%. I either need to put that whole track in the middle or separate out the bass frequencies and make them mono.. Anyone know a good (preferably free) plug in to make my bass frequencies mono? I'm working in Logic.

I'd move the vocal to the center for sure, as well as move the trumpet towards the center. You could put a m/s decoder on it to give it width. The whistle-synth could be switched out for trumpet, I think. Good sound overall.

I appreciate the suggestions - I think I'll try bringing the trumpet in a bit toward the center (the first horn is actually a flugal horn and the second one is a muted trumpet. They're both from Vintage Horns).

In terms of the whistling, you are the 3rd person who I've showed this song to who wasn't too sure about the whistling ... but I really love it. Hmm what to do..

You should be able to just convert the whole track to mono, right? Any reason that won't work?

Yeah but I didn't want to do that because it is a stereo audio loop with kick and snare in the middle but some other stuff panned. It's okay though because I ended up just putting that track in the middle.

So here is the re-mix and I basically used everyone's suggestions. I brought the vocals, horns, kick to the middle. I added some stereo delay to the horns. I replaced the first whistle part with a trumpet but left the later whistle parts toward the end.

Mental Health by Docmansound | Free Listening on SoundCloud

This is a great forum, I really appreciate the help putting the final touches on my mixes. When you are a one man show it's really easy to overlook things.

My YouTube channel is here: YouTube

Last edited:
Back