Would like some feedback on these mixes.

bart2712

I got these songs from here, in the MIX THIS section.

Gave it a go at mixing them and posted them to my soundcloud.
Here they are: https://soundcloud.com/outta-time

I realize the levels on the vox in comearound are a bit low in the beginning

Also, if y'all have a soundcloud, plz post it here so I can follow you...fellow artists gotta stick together lol

Thanks for posting these. Glad someone is using the Mix This forum to really work on the craft! Thoughts:

Comearound
-Vox are way too low in the first 2 min, after which they float between too low and too high. First bring them up 2-3db (at least) in the beginning, and then work on level control using automation and probably some light compression.
-Low end sounds lacking in power. Push the bass up.
-Similarly the kick has no meat. I would spend some time EQing for some more bottom end (not necessarily by boosting the low frequencies, mind you), then push the fader up a good 2-3db at least.
-Snare drum sounds very dry, and a little thin to my ear.
-From 1:00 to 3:50 or so, the entire mix sounds very narrow and confined to a small box in the center of the stereo field. Spread things out and use more liberal panning, like the intro and ending. It's cool to use narrowing and widening throughout the song to separate verses from choruses and play with the listener's attention, but this was way too drastic for me.

Overall the middle of the song (1:00-3:50) suffers from a generally indistinct mix. The instruments don't have great separation and that makes it hard to tell which parts to work on. The intro and ending have a much tighter mix and good separation, except for the level of the vox. Use those parts as a reference to work on the middle.

Continued thoughts:

I'm Alright
-Drum kit sounds really good. Kick and snare are driving, the hi hat isn't too powerful, the overheads sit like butter.
-Bass is mixed very well with the kick and fills in the low end.
-Stereo separation is pretty good. If anything the guitar on the left could come in a bit. It seems further left than the complementary guitar on the right.
-I would like to hear the guitar solos in the extreme right speaker come in closer to the middle. In headphones it is a bit much.
-Vocal level is pretty good. Watch out for some words/lines that push the 2-5k harshness range, particularly in the chorus with the doubled vox. Might try automating a slight cut in that range on certain lines or sections of the song.

Overall a very nice mix. Well done!

thx...im alright is the one i spent more time on, and it came together a lot easier. Come around had a crapload of vox tracks and they were kindof all over the place levels wise. Anyway, i did more work on Im alright, and basically used LCR for that song.

Edit: I quickly fixed the things you mentioned. Have a listen to the updated mix and see what you think.

https://soundcloud.com/outta-time/imalrightmix2

Side note...i rather like this song a lot...kinda reminds me of "Smooth" with Rob Thomas

Another side note...entire song was mixed in Reaper using stock plugins.

Last edited:
You went the wrong way with the panning. I was saying to bring in the left guitar to match the position of the right. But you've brought the right one in even further, so now it's really uneven.

ok lol...initially they were both panned 100% so im not sure how it seems like they didnt match...in levels perhaps.

The song is "I'm Alright" by Angels in Amplifiers from Mark Senior's website. Just wanted to put that out there.

I'm listening to mix 2.
I would make the distorted guitar on the right quieter and bring up the drums.
I also can't hear the piano (which I know is there, I've done this song before myself ;) )

Sounds good overall.

Most of us have your music linked to in our signatures. Follow for follow, I guess.

The acoustic guitar on the left sounds a lot thinner than the original. I remember it being very powerful in the multitrack.

Overall the mix sounds fine but I feel like there is an instrument missing or something.

havent changed the acoustic at all since the first mix...perhaps its the high pass filter i used on it...idk, i havent removed any instruments...IOW im using all the tracks that came with it. Both acoustics are panned left and electric is panned right.

np...im just trying to get better...if anyone has suggestions on how to improve it, im happy to make changes and see what ppl think

Also, I did turn up the piano a bit...once i upped its level even more, it sounded too loud compared to the rest of the mix

Back