Won’t Stop Believin (not to be confused with Journey’s “Don’t Stop Believin”)

I like it a lot. It was a big decision to raise the levels of the kick and snare as loud as you have, but I think it works--mostly. There might be a few places where they get a bit frenetic. I like the guitars low in level and panned the way you have done. The vocal are terrific. You might want to look closely at the levels of the vocal track--there's some inconsistency in a few places where the vocal seems to drop out. Some automation to even out the levels prior to compression would help there.

I hear some boominess in the lower frequencies here and there, mostly affecting the bass. I'd start by high passing the bass along with almost everything else except the kicks, to kill the mud.

Really good song.

I like it a lot. It was a big decision to raise the levels of the kick and snare as loud as you have, but I think it works--mostly. There might be a few places where they get a bit frenetic. I like the guitars low in level and panned the way you have done. The vocal are terrific. You might want to look closely at the levels of the vocal track--there's some inconsistency in a few places where the vocal seems to drop out. Some automation to even out the levels prior to compression would help there.

I hear some boominess in the lower frequencies here and there, mostly affecting the bass. I'd start by high passing the bass along with almost everything else except the kicks, to kill the mud.

Really good song.

Thank you for your feedback, I greatly appreciate it. Yeah there are a few hot spots in the drums. Sane is a bit upfront, could use a bit more middle but I think it works. The mix currently has no automation and could definitely benifet form it. Vocal effects need a bit more work as well.

I'm working to address some of the issues in the next mix and will definitely look into things you pointed out.

Thanks again for taking the time.

I was expecting Steve Perry and when some chick started singing I was like this ain't no stinkin' Don’t Stop Believin!

I thought in general things sounded OK. Singer was good.

The one sound I didn't care for was the distorted guitar on the left.

Clean guitar on the right was good. Bass sound was cool. I liked the part too.

I thought the drums were too loud. In the beginning, when the drums start and the other instruments start to build up slowly, I was hoping they would eventually build up a little further culminating in a big burst when the voice kicked in.

And I was glad it wasn't Journey. Damn I hate that band. :)

I thought in general things sounded OK. Singer was good.

The one sound I didn't care for was the distorted guitar on the left.

Clean guitar on the right was good. Bass sound was cool. I liked the part too.

I thought the drums were too loud. In the beginning, when the drums start and the other instruments start to build up slowly, I was hoping they would eventually build up a little further culminating in a big burst when the voice kicked in.

And I was glad it wasn't Journey. Damn I hate that band. :)

TripleM, thanks for the feedback. Drums are a bit loud but there's not a real lot going on in the song with the guitar parts that are very interesting; they could come up a bit. I'll have to go back a list to the distorted guitar but I don't think I did much more than roll off the low end. I will say that the mix is completely static and will benefit from volume automation. Thanks again for listening and taking the time to comment, it is greatly appreciated.

Either the floor toms or the kick, or a combination, stands out to me as quite a bit boomy. I'd double check the high pass filter on them all and the tom buss, if there is one. it rings out for bit long and thumps too hard, in my opinion. it adds a bit of energy, yes, but taming it slightly shouldn't lose that.

Back